Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Blank and can't recover XL201

lubbkis
Visitor

Screen Blank and can't recover XL201

This morning I was interrupted while MCE was open which I was intending to set-up. The screen is completely blank including during what appears to be normal boots from bios and C: no logos appear. (The screen is fine with other sources e.g. DVD player). So I've tried to boot from both of two different recovery disk sets - yes, the System Recovery disk. Sometimes it is difficult to get the disk out of the slot. Mostly, I hear reading from the DVD (I think) but see the C: drive being accessed from its LED.

Can someone advise please

1. if there is a procedure to get my screen card turned back on if MCE has put it to sleep;

2. the step by step procedure necessary to recover from the DVDs

Thanks in anticipation.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi lubbkis

start your Vaio and when you see the Vaio logo screen press F10 repeatedly this normally would start the recovery process using the data from the recovery partition..

lubbkis
Visitor

Many thanks Thalamus. :slight_smile: In fact this problem was half solved a few minutes ago when I decided to swap the HDMI cable on the dvd player. When I booted with the recovery system disk in, the bios logos showed themselves but Windows came up - I'd expected the recovery tool. So your information has given the last piece of the puzzle.

I'm now in two minds whether to do a recovery. The problem started last night when I'd been trying out the Pinnacle Digital Diversity stick which in the event gave poor reception from the same aerial as the MCE had been working with and I did a recovery then. Previosly on Lubbkis's XL20, MCE had closed down communication with his wireless hub which is why he was thinking of setting it up again. I'm guessing I can't get the benefits of VIIV except with MCE; but are they worth it, I wonder.

I think I'm going to spend the weekend reading Mr. WWarby's clean install guide.

Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile: