Join now - be part of our community!

Screen Display Blank on Start Up

profile.country.en_GB.title
TheFool
Visitor

Screen Display Blank on Start Up

HELP please, Can I get help to diagnose the problem on my good lady's VGN-NR32L.

This is what I have:

BACKGROUND

I replaced the hard drive after a complete ceasure. Started the machine and began restoration of the system all good, start up, splash screen, boot to OS. started the updates reached something like 113/127 performed a shutdown and let the updates install correctly.

Next morning I sit down to complete the restoration, switch on, NO Splash screen (VAIO...) during BIOS/CMOS read. The screen is just black and remains so.

CURRENT FAULT SYMPTOMS

At last CMOS setting Boot Order 1. dvd    2. HDD

Switch on...

• Mother Board Green LED is ON steady
  • Battery Amber LED is either ON steady (no adapter) or ON flashing (with adapter)
  • HDD Amber LED is ON briefly as the board identifies it's existance but then remains off
  • There are NO 'beep' diagnostics heard
  • Fan does NOT start at all not even for a quick test
  • The screen display remains dark and blank.

If I try to insert a dvd the dvd player unlocks and opens and after putting the dvd in and closing it can be heard to start up and try to read. The same happens if I pre include a bootable dvd and then switch on.

The only way to switch off is to hold the power button down (I hate doing that) as there is no way of seeing what might be on the screen.

DIAGNOSIS

I need to know a way of diagnosing/deciding if the fault is:

• Screen backlight
  • Screen/screen harness
  • Video subsystem
  • Power subsystem to screen
  • Power distribution on motherboard
  • Motherboard

The manuals I have only go as far as disassembly. The trouble shooter mostly presumes you have something on the screen and no diagnostics for LED condition or beeps.

Is it possible to hook up another screen to the second port and see this without a full boot (which I can't do because I can't see what's on the screen)? I tried attaching a 2nd screen and switching to it via the function keys but no responses on either screen.

I am competent with a multimeter to check the presence of voltage or resistance continuity etc.

Thanks to anyone out there who can help.

P.S. is there a button/key press that could turn on/off the screen? and where is the CMOS battery?

Message was edited by: TheFool

0 REPLIES 0