Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Desktop BluRay problems...DOING MY NUT

GlynIngram
Visitor

Sony Desktop BluRay problems...DOING MY NUT

Ok. I'm seriously p----d off.

Had this brand new £1400 Sony Desktop PC thingy with Blue Ray drive included for a few months now. Fine. When I bought it, I watched a few Blu Ray DVDs on it that I didn't know were "region free." They included, in fact, one that Sony sent me...The dire "Spiderman 3."

The problem it has since caused is that my WinDVD programme has now set itself to be "Region B only." So, when I go out and buy a European Region DVD, it won't play the damn thing.

Now, I have been onto the internet and searched the forums and one person actually claims to have found the way to sort this problem. He talks about the need to do the following in order to sort it out and basically remove this region s--t from the PC...

1) Download a program called "Autoruns" from www.sysinternals.com.
2) Run autoruns.exe, go to "Drivers" tab and disable driver called "regi" (regi.sys). Just untick the checkbox next to it. Note: Do not delete it.
3) Restart Windows.
4) Delete file "ivireg.ivr" in "C:\Windows\System32\" folder.
5) Re-enable "regi" driver using Autoruns (tick the checkbox).
6) Restart Windows.File "ivireg.ivr" will be recreated with default settings and you can change BD region from WinDVD interface 5 more times before you have to repeat this procedure. Enjoy!
P.S.: If you have a dual boot system (say, XP and Vista), you can just boot to another OS and delete "ivireg.ivr" from there.

Alas, however, this man's efforts don't work. Why? Because when you get to stage 4, you discover that the "ivireg.ivr" file does not even bloody exist on the PC.

It's doing my head in to be frank. Am I now stuck with a Blu Ray drive set to Region A? It's soooo stupid. Does anyone out there know a way to sort this?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
GlynIngram
Visitor

Still waiting for help on this one...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi GlynIngram,

I'm not quite sure what you are saying - is it that you have changed the Blu-Ray Region Code in WinDVD BD more than five times so that it is now locked on Region A?

If so, you are going to have to phone Sony and ask for help. Unlike many optical drives, all Matshita Drives cannot be made Region Free with either software or firmware solutions found on Google. When your 5 changes are used up, you will probably have to buy a new drive if it is not locked to your home region.

Were you not warned that you only had 5 changes available to you?

:slight_frown: