Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio Duo 13 - Current Issues

jamhall45
Explorer

Sony Vaio Duo 13 - Current Issues

As far as I can tell, there seem to be 3 major issues with the Sony Vaio Duo 13.

WiFi Performance

Many users are reporting this (and I have the same problem).  WiFi performance is quite poor.  Quite often the wifi signal drops to 20%, and is normaly hovering around 60-80 %.  Other devices sat in the same room are showing 100% signal strength.

Pressure Sensitivity

The n-trig digitizer is not reporting the pressure sensitivity range correctly to applications that support the Microsoft Realtime Stylus API.  Applications affected are Artrage Pro, Sketchbook Pro, Manga Studio 5.

As it does not report the pressure range correctly, these apps set a default range of 1024.  The Duo 13 only supports a range of 256, so as a result, the applications treat even the hardest press of the stylus as a quarter of the maximum pressure range.  This is a major issue as apparently pre-release units did not have this issue.  In the US, Artrage is bundles with the Duo 13, and simply does not work.

Vaio Update not recognising hardware

Every time I run Vaio Update, it says :

Dear VAIO Customer,

You have arrived at this page because VAIO Update does not recognize your VAIO.
This may be a temporary problem with the VAIO Update server.

SONY, can these issues be addressed as a matter of urgency as the rather expensive device I have just purchased is unable to be used as its intended purpose.

Thanks

James Hall

11 REPLIES 11
deejohnny

If i was you id be on the safe side and return the duo13 untill they find a fix or deliver the driver they promised me a few weeks back.shame ive past the return date i should of just returned it. im having to switch to my mobile phone just to watch youtube videos  as the wifi on the duo is so poor it buffers/freezes on anything over 144p!! yes 144p

jamhall45
Explorer

Problem is I really like the machine, and I don't think PC World would let me return it anyway 😞
SHumayun
Explorer

I have a pro 13 and am also experiencing both the wifi and auto update issues, so this is not limited to the duo it seems. I'm also struggling with jerky auto-brightness (and no way of turning it off) and a really stiff, unresponsive touchpad.

It has got to the point where I called Sony customer services this morning and asked whether I could return it. I assumed they were going to say no as the 7 day return period described on the terms and conditions has passed. Apparently not. It seems we have 30 days to return the thing. I think this falls under statuatory rights. You just call them and they give you a returns number and then the courier will call you within 48 hours to collect. 

They told me I'd get a full refund. I assume if you return it with any damage or peripherals/accessories missing, they will take money off the refund. Just because you bought yours through PC world doesn't mean you don't also have these rights. 

I've still got a couple of weeks left of that 30 days so am going to give the thing a bit longer. If Sony don't release some patches/new drivers to sort in that period I will be returning it and waiting on the Samsung Ativ Q.

Stellar30
Explorer

Is this return within 30 days appplicable if you just change your mind, or does there need to be a problem with the device in order for Sony to accept returns? 

I really want to purchase this model, I like the specs and design (once configured to my liking on the Sony shop) in comparison to many unltrabook models available. But this wifi issue is very concerning. As Sony do claim a driver update to be available- I am hoping this will be accessible and released within the next 30 days. It will allow me to find out if it resolves the issue - and if not, then I can still return the product in good time.

SHumayun
Explorer

I think the 30 days is just your right. They didn't say to me that it had to be faulty. Like you, I really like my Vaio in many ways but if it isn't able to reliably pick up wifi and maintain a decent speed then it is basically useless. I'm not plugging an ultrabook into the network. 

Having just had an awful experience with Sony support I am one step closer to returning the thing.

emmanuelkeyz
Explorer

Same shoes as you! Called Sony Support today and they didn't seem to be aware of this issue. She kept on telling me that I need to give her my serial number for her to support me. As I didnt have my serial number at hand she was not able to help me at all. Its quite shameful and pityful. I also emailed Sony nearly 2 weeks ago and still have not got a response. It seems that they dont care at all. I have to say their customer service is extremely poor its unbelieveable.

jamhall45
Explorer

Just got an update : Regarding the wireless connection issue, we would like to inform you that Sony will be releasing an update shortly that should solve the issue with the VAIO. Therefore, we would like you to check the page below for that update:
http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVD1321M2EW/updates

In reference to the digitizer pen, we can confirm that there is nothing wrong with the VAIO because it has simply worked with other programs. This would be our final decision in the case.

Concerning the VAIO Update issue, since the VAIO model is relatively new, it just needs time for it to be recognized on the server. This issue would be resolved shortly.
SHumayun
Explorer

So I finally got through to a decent (clearly quite senior) tech support at Sony. Talked through a number of issues with him but focused on the wifi problem. Yes, there is a new wifi driver (21/8/13), no it does not solve the problem. Tried a number of other things, nothing worked. Final solution was to do a factory reset and see if that fixes it. No, it does not.

Called sales today and the courier is calling me next week to pick it up and then I will get a replacement. I could have gone for a refund but have been told I get another 30 day return period when the new machine arrives. I like the form factor enough to give it another go. 

However, I have done some reading since and suspect that I made a mistake there. I will post about that in the wifi thread.

BTW, you guys know where the sony vaio support center is based? Egypt. When the guy told me that, it put my frustration about this machine in some context. Not an excuse for crap customer service, but does make me think twice about shouting at these people again.

emmanuelkeyz
Explorer

Where did you get the update from??