Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21Z won't play Blu-Ray discs

profile.country.en_GB.title
misphit2011
New

Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21Z won't play Blu-Ray discs

Hi all, I recently purchased a second hand Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21Z without a hard drive from eBay.

I installed a new hard drive and loaded a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and all the drivers and updates but it just won't play them, the Blu-Ray disc spins at first and then stops but nothing happens.

Please help. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi misphit2011,

There is no native support in Windows for playing Blu-ray.

Have you installed a third party software such as Power DVD or WinDVD that will recognise and play Blu-ray?

Such software would have been included with this model but as you no longer have the original OEM OS you will need to install your own or purchase a set of recovery media from Sony Support that will include all original drivers, utilities and software. The utilities and software are available to download from the support site but most software is not due to licencing restrictions.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
misphit2011
New

That's a shame, thanks for your reply.

I have an idea, I have a very similar FZ21E on it's way which is still originally preloaded with Windows Vista. What I am thinking of doing is burning the recovery disc set from the partition and then try to do a recovery using Vista and then upgrade it to Windows 7.

I am hoping that the FZ21E recovery disc will work on the FZ21Z otherwise I might try and just recover on the FZ21E and switch the hard drive into the FZ21Z with it all preloaded.

I've read somewhere that you can get it to work if you upgrade to Windows 7 from the Sony factory preloaded Vista but not if you do a fresh install??

Message was edited by: misphit2011

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

The FZ21E doesn't have a BD drive so I don't think your plan will work.

You could investigate free Blu-ray software - try a Google.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat