Join now - be part of our community!

*Sony Windows 8 FAQ's*

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

*Sony Windows 8 FAQ's*

Sony Windows 8 FAQ’s (full list of the FAQ’s, including those below, are available by clicking HERE)

I have selected a few topics from Sony’s windows 8 FAQ’s that I think may be of interested to those of you that are thinking of upgrading your Vaio to windows 8..

For whom will the Windows® 8 offer be valid?

The offer will be limited to customers who purchase a PC sold during the eligibility period with a valid Windows 7 OEM Certificate of Authenticity and preinstalled with:

• Windows 7 Home Basic;
  • Windows 7 Home Premium;
  • Windows 7 Professional; or
  • Windows 7 Ultimate.

According to the announcement by Microsoft, this Windows Upgrade Offer will be an opportunity to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro only. Kindly refer to the Microsoft official website for more information.
Microsoft will limit the promotional price to one upgrade offer per PC purchased, and a maximum limit of five upgrade offers per customer.

How can I obtain all software from Microsoft and Sony?

• Microsoft will provide you the Windows 8 Operating System and a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).
    For details on pricing, offer redemption and support, please refer to the Microsoft official website.
  • Sony will provide you Windows 8 compatible BIOS, drivers, utilities and other VAIO applications (for supported VAIO models only!).

The Sony software can be obtained in two ways.

A. Direct download (Electronic Software Delivery)

B. Ordering a Supplement Disk. Optional backup media will be available for ordering.

Please note that some applications might not be provided, depending on your model.

Is a Clean Install upgrade supported?

The 'Clean Install' scenario is not supported by Sony. Sony will only support the 'Migration' scenario.
A clean installation erases the entire hard drive (including the original Operating System) and installs the new Operating System files onto the hard drive. All folders, files, applications and personal settings will be erased. Migration will transition your VAIO to Windows 8, whilst preserving folders, files, applications and personal settings.

Windows® 8: Upgrade Precautions and Limitations

Please review the Windows 8 Upgrade Precautions and Limitations prior to updating your operating system.

The following information may be updated periodically. You can find the most recent information below:

Precautions

• Before upgrading to Windows 8, back up your data and perform a full system recovery to its factory condition.
  • If you have downgraded the operating system architect from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 7 32-bit, you will be required to perform a system recovery.
  • The upgrade software, drivers, and utilities provided by Sony can only be used on select models.
  • Follow the operation instructions in the User Manual when upgrading to Windows 8.
  • Remove any peripherals from your computer that are not required to perform the upgrade.
  • If your computer freezes during the Windows 8 upgrade, press and hold the power button to turn off the computer, and then press the power button again to turn it back on.
  • Plug the power cord into the AC adapter, then plug it into an AC outlet before performing the upgrade.
    Note: Do not upgrade to Windows 8 using the internal battery power only
  • It is highly recommended that you create recovery media before upgrading to Windows 8. The recovery media will allow you to restore to the original operating system.
    Note: Please refer to the User Manual for instructions on how to create recovery media.

Limitations: VAIO computer  

• Wireless
    • Some wireless devices may not be able to turn off when Airplane mode is turned on within the Windows 8 PC Settings.
    • Applicable Models: VAIO computers that have a wireless hardware switch
  • Power Media Dock
    • You will need to shut down your computer when connecting or disconnecting the Power Media Dock.
    • The Power Media Dock graphic accelerator feature is not supported for the main display.
    • Applicable Models: VPCZ2 Series, SVZ Series
  • VAIO Logo
    • The VAIO Logo may not display during the startup process.
    • Applicable Models:VPCF23 Series
  • Display Brightness
    • The display brightness may not change when adjusting the brightness control within the Charms.
    • Work Around: To control the brightness press and hold the Fn key, and then concurrently press F5 to decrease the brightness or F6 to increase the brightness.
    • Applicable Models: VPCL Series

Limitations: Sony software  

• Media Gallery
    • The Media Gallery app will be uninstalled during the Windows 8 upgrade process.
  • Click to Disk
    • The Click to Disk app will be uninstalled during the Windows 8 upgrade process.
  • VAIO Setting
    • The LCD refresh rate cannot be controlled
    • The Color mode settings can no longer be utilized
    • The Motion reality settings can no longer be utilized
    • The Frame touch control cannot be turned on/off.
      Affected model: VPCL Series only
    • The VAIO peripheral will be display in English

Limitations: Third party software  

Some preinstalled third party apps may have limitations after upgrading to Windows 8.

• WinDVD will be replaced with PowerDVD
  • WinDVD BD will be replaced with PowerDVD BD
  • Quick Web Access will not be supported
  • TriDef 3D Photo viewer will not be supported

Contact Information: Third party software

Sony does not provide Windows 8 support for third party apps. Refer to the Contact Information for Packaged Software Kit in the support manual that came with your VAIO computer. Some third party apps may not provide support.

Restrictions regarding related products

Support information for related Sony products will be posted on the VAIO support website. Sony only supports peripheral equipment that is compatible with Windows 8.

Click on this link to see Which VAIO models will be supported by Sony?

Are CTO (customize to order) VAIO supported? See above link..

What is the difference between ‘eligible’ and ‘supported’ models?

The adjective 'Eligible' refers to the Microsoft terminology used with regards to the eligibility period of the promotional offer for Windows upgrade at a discounted price. As aforementioned this eligibility period starts on June 2, 2012 and ends on January 31, 2013.

The adjective 'Supported' refers to terminology used by Sony. Sony is currently performing a validation of selected Windows 7 VAIO models to determine whether all BIOS, drivers, utilities and other VAIO applications from Sony can be fully supported for upgrade to the Windows 8 Operating System.
Depending on the outcome of the testing and validation phase for each model, Sony will issue a list of supported models as well as any known restrictions, limitations and necessary software updates .

I have checked if my VAIO is supported, but it is not, although it meets the minimum Windows® 8 requ...

Sony has carefully selected the VAIO models that will ensure the best Windows 8 experience. If your VAIO is not supported by the VAIO Windows 8 upgrade kit, we advise you to visit the following pages to find drivers and applications, which you can separatel... Please note that no online support is offered for non supported VAIO models.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

How should I upgrade my VAIO from Windows® 7 to Windows® 8?

Please click on the following link to view Sony's - Windows 8 upgrade guide

profile.country.en_GB.title
NannyBabs
Visitor

If you have Windows 7 do yourself a favour and leave Windows 8 alone

profile.country.en_IE.title
guidocecilio
Visitor

Hi,

I want to install Windows 8 64bit from scratch in a Sony VAIO SVE1511K1EW. What is the best way to proceed and where I can find the drivers?

Requirements

I won't be able to have internet because I brought the computer to my daughter in Cuba.

Thanks a million in adcance for your support,

Guido.