starting cmd.exe

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
gyron1
Explorer

starting cmd.exe

I have a problem that I would appreciate your help with please;

I am having a software problem and have been instructed to do the following,

'open start the cmd.exe as administrator and then enter the comand:powercfg/restoredefaultpolicies'

Can someone please advise exactly how I 'open start the the cmd.exe as administrator' please.

My operating system is MS XP Pro.

Thank you for any help provided.

regards,

gyron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi gyron,

If you are using an account with admin privileges it may not be necessary to run as administrator. In which case:

Click Start > Run and type cmd – click ok.

Otherwise:

Click Start > Run and type the following:

runas /user:localmachinename\administrator cmd – where localmachinename is the full computer name which can be found by right clicking the My Computer icon and selecting Properties > Computer Name tab. You will then be prompted to enter the administrator password.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue let us know details of the problem and we may be able to help further.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi gyron,

If you are using an account with admin privileges it may not be necessary to run as administrator. In which case:

Click Start > Run and type cmd – click ok.

Otherwise:

Click Start > Run and type the following:

runas /user:localmachinename\administrator cmd – where localmachinename is the full computer name which can be found by right clicking the My Computer icon and selecting Properties > Computer Name tab. You will then be prompted to enter the administrator password.

If this doesn’t resolve the issue let us know details of the problem and we may be able to help further.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Gyron,

with XP as far as I recall if you are logged in using an administrator account & run CMD.exe then you should have admin privileges..

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gyron,

In XP you need to check your user account is "Computer Administrator".  I would guess this is already the case.

Start -> Run..... and type in cmd and press Enter.

However, I am not sure "powercfg/restoredefaultpolicies" works in XP.  Give it a try but I think you may have to recreate the Power Options manually in Control Panel -> Power Options or reinstall Sony's Power Management.

Try typing powercfg /? at the Command Prompt to see the correct syntax of available commands in XP - there are several but the one you quote does not appear in my list: -

Which model Vaio is this for and what is the problem.

EDIT:  Evening Rich, evening Thalamus - you have a full house this evening Gyron!!

gyron1
Explorer

Hello Rich,

Sincere apologies for delayed response to your help, which, along with help from Thalamus and Blencogo, has provided the help I needed.

Very happy New Year and thank you.

Gyron

gyron1
Explorer

Hello Thalamus,

Sincere apologies for delayed response to your help.

Thank you for your help which, along with responses from Blencogo and Rich, has resolved the problem I had.

May I take this opportunity of wishing you a very happy New Year.

Gyron

gyron1
Explorer

Hello Blencogo,

Thank you for your response to my problem and sincere apologies for my delayed response.

Yes I was indeed very fortunate in having Rich & Thalamus as well as yourself available to help me.

Thank you all for your very prompt help which was very greatly appreciated and can always be relied upon. You all have solved the problem for me as usual.

May I wish you all (again in the case of Thalamus & Rich), a very Happy New Year.

regards to you all,

Gyron

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re very welcome Gyron and thanks for taking the trouble to let us know that the suggestions helped – many members don’t...

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Thanks Gyron & a happy new year to you to..:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Gyron,

I hope you have a happy and peaceful New Year.

:slight_smile: