Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Event Service.

NetHolik
Visitor

VAIO Event Service.

hello vaio users,

this topic has been mentioned many times, but so far i can't get it working fine.
i don't know for sure what is actually responsible for driving the screen brightness, system volume, etc., but i'm guessing it's vaio event service. or maybe it's vaio pwr mgnt? correct me if i'm wrong.

the issue is, that from time to time, or even maybe more frequently - once in 2 days (sic!), vaio event service crashes. i can't adjust my screen brightness using fn keys. atm, i have on scrn msg while hitting brightness +/-, but the level bar moves just one position from maximum to one lev less, while actual brightness does not change at all - now it stays at lev of 50%.

sometimes event service crashes normally, i'd say - properly. what do i mean: vista gives report error as it does normally when app crashes. but in most cases, when event service crashes, it just wont let me change scrn brightness, as i described above, while all other features like volume, numeric keyboard work just fine. i don't have to tell you how irritating it is, do i?

i've got my vaio for 4 months, or so, and have reinstalled vaio service 3 times so far. after reinstall it works fine for some time. then it starts to crash again. usually i just restart the service from the services mgmt panel, but now, again it doesn't help - i just restart the service, so i have on scrn msgs, but no way of changing scrn brightness, as i described at the beginning of the post.

is there any solution for irritating problem? or is this just sony's software that sucks and i'll have to reinstall this for ever?

regards,
rafal.

ps: recently, my "beloved" vista found solution for the problem.
in panel problem reports and solutions i have entry named solution for VAIO Event Service (Service Sub Module) which when appeared filled me with hope, but lucky me: i can't see solution. the solution is not in my native lang (polish), so i choose english version... and what i get is an error page, as ie does normally show when it can't find page. the same thing for other langs, the same thing for other errors. no wonder i never looked at this panel having no faith in any kind of ms help.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi NetHolic,

Vista's solution is to install Microsoft Standalone Hotfix KB936316

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936316

:thinking:

NetHolik
Visitor

hi Blencogo,

thank you for the reply. i have installed the hotfix and after 2 days i thought that problem is gone,
but i waited a bit longer with the reply to be sure that it really does solve the problem.
unfortunately, it doesn't. after 4 days from the install it crashed again. now it works better, though.

has anyone got any idea what to do with this?

regards,
rafal.