Join now - be part of our community!

VAIO Wifi upgrade

jarsudsco
Explorer

VAIO Wifi upgrade

I have a VAIO VGN-CR19XN/B which came with a 802.11b/g wifi card.  I've been having trouble with my wifi at home recently and it was suggested to me it might be because I have a mixture of 802.11g and 802.11n clients, so I'm trying to switch everything to "n".

I bought an 802.11n compatible wifi card - a Broadcom BCM94322HM8L and installed it in my VAIO.  After installing the drivers Windows device manager reports the device is working correctly but it will not detect any wifi networks.  When I try, I am informed that wireless is currently disabled and directed to look for a switch or key-combination to enable it.  Well, the switch is definitely "on", but the wireless LED is not.  In fact, the LED comes on when the machine boots, right up until the Windows logon and then it goes off.

With the new card installed, in the VAIO control center screen for the "Wireless Device Switch" there is *no* wireless LAN option - only bluetooth, and if I activate the bluetooth option then the switch/LED works fine, but still no wifi.

If I re-install the old wifi card again (an Intel 3945ABG) then wifi works fine and the VAIO control centre Wireless Device Switch page *does* show the Wireless LAN options.

Does anyone know how I can get the wireless device switch to work with the new wifi card?

Regards,

Keith Suddick

0 REPLIES 0