Join now - be part of our community!

VGX series and Windows 7

rockgatherer
Visitor

VGX series and Windows 7

Hi,

Does anyone know if Sony are planning on providing Windows 7 drivers for the VGX series of machines?

I did an upgrade to Windows 7 RTM on my 2 month old VGX-TP3Z/B and all was OK except that I couldn't get any sound out via the HDMI port despite quite a lot of playing around with sound and graphics drivers. This appears to be quite a common problem with Windows 7 across a whole range of machines (Google it and see what I mean).

Anybody done a successful upgrade to W7 on a VGX box and got everything working? I've had to restore back to Vista...

Thanks in advance

18 REPLIES 18
profile.country.en_IE.title
Wheeker
Visitor

If I wish use the button restart for win7..there is a pb..it doesn't work :thinking: Bounty

I had this same issue & following-up on some posts in the AVS Forums managed to solve it by disabling the Firewire in the BIOS. :smileygrin:

profile.country.en_NO.title
hanaboua
Visitor

So, any luck with w7 & vgx tp3z/b? Wanting to upgrade, but held back by your frustrations.

k-strider
Visitor

I got it to play with the WinDVD BD that came with the VAIO by installing these video drivers
Nvidia 181.72_win7x32
which can be found here http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x32/181.72

it was trial and error with me untill i got a video driver that worked. Note you need to Download the INF file (to overwrite the original) as well as the Driver since its a mobile GPU not a standard one.

Otherwise everything went well i did an inplace upgrade to win7 home premium if your thinking of upgrading make sure you make the Backup DVDs first so you can restore back to base should you need to... i originally tried a clean install but couldn't get TV card drivers.

Dr_Stuart
Visitor

I got it to play with the WinDVD BD that came with the VAIO by installing these video drivers
Nvidia 181.72_win7x32
which can be found here http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers/win7x32/181.72

Great - Will try this tonight.
Does this fix the issues with sound too?

Thanks

S

k-strider
Visitor

I never got the sound issue as far as i can recall... it was ages ago i upgraded when W7 was RTM.. back in Aug (the joys of VL subscriptions 🙂 )... you will have to try some of the other suggestions re sound.

Dr_Stuart
Visitor

Cool, I managed to get WinDVD and Blu-Ray working using the driver above - so thanks for that.

I still have problems with the sound over HDMI though (Sound over optical has no problems).

I reverted to the original IDT drivers and the HDMI-out insists that the HDMI cable is unplugged. As a consequence there is no sound and it can not be configured.

When using the MS HDMI driver only stereo speakers are defined, there is no option for DTS 5.1 - so although WinDVD now works it only outputs 2.0 sound.

My home setup favours sound via the HDMI cable.

Has anyone got 5.1 working via HDMI?

Cheers

S.

profile.country.en_NO.title
hanaboua
Visitor

So everything well now? All issues solved early adopters/ pioneers?
Another question, honestly was it worth it to upgrade to 7?

Dr_Stuart
Visitor

Actually 100% yes.

Put quite simply the media centre that comes with Windows 7 really is that much better than that which came with Vista both in terms of functionality and stability. So much so that I would have even said 'yes' when we'd not sorted out BluRay support. (BluRay has always worked if you wanted to buy and install an updated package)

In terms of DTS – you’ll only notice this if you have a home theatre system and only affects DTS via HDMI, 2 channel sound via HDMI works fine.

All sound (2 channel and DTS) works fine via optical out – its just awkward for me to use.

Cheers

S.

profile.country.en_GB.title
jbo176
Visitor

I am the unfortunate owner of a vgx tp3z unit which has just been upgraded to wondow7.

I cant get any of the players to work with a blu ray divd (windvd/cyberlink/arcsoft)

Have updated drivers on the sony website bt still no luck.

Just wondering if you have any tips on how I might resolve this issue or do I just accepts that it it no longer an HD capable unit?