Join now - be part of our community!

Display flips upside down since 10.4.1.B.0.109 update

SOLVED
Davem
Visitor

Display flips upside down since 10.4.1.B.0.109 update

SGP 312. Since 10.4.1.B.0.109  update, the display momentarily flips upside down then back again at regular intervals of about 5 minutes when using the browser. This happens when tablet is propped up on a case/stand, so there is definitely no movement that could trigger it. 

Anyone else affected? I'll maybe try Firefox browser to see if problem is restricted to Chrome. It does also happen using a multi-paper news app, but I suspect that is using the default browser engine as it's display mechanism.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam
Legend
Legend

If this is something that has happened only after running the update, I would advise reloading via a repair:

1. Download the PC Companion software from http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/
and install it on your PC.
2. Install and open PC Companion then select Support Zone.
3. Phone Software Update.
4. Start.
5. Repair Phone
6. Continue
7. Accept data removal
8. Next
9. Wait for prepare
10. Select Phone
11. Follow the connection steps

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Prasadm1
Visitor

I have this problem too.. I thought this was something caused by me doing something, and was about to contact support. In my case i noticed it when i was watching movie using mx player. But it does not happen everytime..but good to know, so i dont have to send my tablet in.. Probably another way of Sony trying to entertain us..
grzesb
Visitor

The same happens to me on Xperia z phone. No matter what player is used (Mx player, BSplayer...)

Sam
Legend
Legend

If this is something that has happened only after running the update, I would advise reloading via a repair:

1. Download the PC Companion software from http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/tools/pc-companion/
and install it on your PC.
2. Install and open PC Companion then select Support Zone.
3. Phone Software Update.
4. Start.
5. Repair Phone
6. Continue
7. Accept data removal
8. Next
9. Wait for prepare
10. Select Phone
11. Follow the connection steps

sony_logo126x24.gif
What are your thoughts about this forum? Let us know by doing this short survey.

Davem
Visitor

Thanks for the advice. I can confirm that doing a repair update fixed the problem, though it does amount to a factory reset with potential data and settings loss so a backup and restore is needed.

Note that the backup/restore to SD card process failed to restore contacts and calendar entries, even though these entries were ticked in the backup options. On a previous repair update for an unrelated problem, the backup to PC process in PC Companion failed to restore downloaded apps. So whichever way you back up, there seems to be a risk of data loss.

Bertu
Visitor

Guys, do you think a fix will be coming out? Got a lot of data on my Xperia and I don't want to risk a factory reset
Davem
Visitor

I'd guess that the next firmware update will be Kitkat, planned late Q2 according to Sony.

If you do 2 backups, one to your PC using PC Companion, and another to an SD card in the tablet using the backup app, then there should be no risk of data loss.

I also sync my contacts and calendar with Outlook 2007 on my PC using PC Companion, so was able to recover them from there.

Bertu
Visitor

Thanks will give it a bash when I manage to find some time
Gustav1
Visitor

I have updated to 4.4.2, but the screen still have this problem of momentarily turning upside down.

Just a guess, could it be related to some app? For instance SwiftKey, which by the way still is plagued by the screen flickering? If someone out there have the turnscreen problem without using SwiftKey, please tell us! 

Davem
Visitor

I don't use Swiftkey. I had this problem immediately after the upgrade to 4.3. I followed the advice from Sony in the earlier post to do a repair re-installation and that fixed it. If you do that, take note of the backup issues I encountered. I haven't upgraded yet to 4.4 as others have found battery drain and other issues with it, and 4.3 works fine.