Join now - be part of our community!

Encrypted Z3 compact tablet/phone, but no password needed to log on

SOLVED
probedb
Visitor

Encrypted Z3 compact tablet/phone, but no password needed to log on

I see someone already posted this last year for a Z2.

Swirling security icon on boot but never asks for a password.

Thoughts? I have the latest firmware and please don't tell me to reset it back to factory settings, I never had to do this when I had a Nexus 4, 5 or 7 when firmware updates happened.

Love my Z3 Compacts but has some weirdness with encryption.

Tags (1)
31 REPLIES 31
probedb
Visitor

Nope it's not turned on and this doesn't affect encryption from what I'm reading, just your lock screen which isn't the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@probedb

It seems that you have not repaired it with PCC yet, have you?

probedb
Visitor

Hi, there is no option to 'repair' in the PCC software. Whereabouts is this option? I can see update, backup etc but no repair option.

I shouldn't have to repair my tablet just because it installed an update.

Thanks,

Paul.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

probedb
Visitor

My tablet connects fine so there's no option for repair?

Turns out the phone (Z3 Compact also) is even worse. Says it's not encrypted even though it is and when you go through the encryption start it tells you it's already encrypted....but still says it's unencrypted in the menu.

Sony really did screw this part of the updates up. Fingers crossed Marshmallow will turn up at some point Slightly_smiling_Face

Love the phone and tablet and the regular updates but they obviously never checked anything to do with encrypted devices before sending it out

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@probedb

You should reconsider reseting the tablet/phone

probedb
Visitor

Like I said, I can connect the tablet fine, I am not given an option to repair?

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@probedb

What do you see when you open PCC > support zone?

post a screenshot

probedb
Visitor

Many thanks Slightly_smiling_Face I've yet to encrypt the tablet but overall everything seems to be OK.

I'm hoping when I flatten my phone it'll sort a bluetooth issue with it whereby when paired with my Macbook Pro at work the Macbook quickly says it's not connected even though both devices have just been paired. Quite irritating as I like the Smart Lock feature now Slightly_smiling_Face

Thanks for the many replies!

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@probedb

Anytime, keep us updated.