Join now - be part of our community!

VOD and HD Video Playback

SOLVED
TwinflyDSW
Visitor

VOD and HD Video Playback

Hi, everyone. I need some advice about VOD services and HD quality playback. The XTZ has a HD display but services like Google play movies (GPM) and video unlimited (VU) do not offer a HD playback experience. I find this a little confusing. It appears that only content stored locally will playback in HD. I have added some images to show you the difference between GPM on the XTZ and Samsung Galaxy S4 (GS4).

Play Movies XTZ.png

This is from the XTZ. Notice the message displayed under the HD option. I have seen this on most, if not all, content offering HD playback Thinking_Face

Play Movies GS4.png

GPM on the GS4 :smileysmileythumbsup:

VU store offers SD content ONLY. Very strange when considering that it is a Sony branded platform. I decided to test further by purchasing the Oblivion HD rental from GPM. Download size to the XTZ came to 0.5GB whereas download size to the GS4 came to 2.6GB. XTZ playback was in SD with wide borders. There was a zoom function at the cost of widescreen viewing. Full HD view on the GS4.

I am not sure if I am missing something here but I look forward to reading about what thoughts everyone else has on this matter. Also be aware that I am still on 4.1.2. I have some reservations about updating to 4.2.2 so I will be interested in reading replies from owners who have updated to see if there is any difference with HD content from the VOD platforms.

Thanks Slightly_smiling_Face Handshake

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jagga
Visitor

Hi - yep no HD playback for Google play movies. I actually sent Google an email and this was their response (no difference with 4.2.2):
Thanks for contacting Google Play Support. As it turns out, the Sony Xperia tablet Z is currently not compatible with video content on Google Play at this time, which is why you had trouble playing back movies in HD. Since you will not be able to watch purchases on this specific device, we encourage you to watch from play.google.com through a browser on your computer or using one of your other Android devices instead.

I know this might be confusing, but not all devices running Android are licensed to use Google Play. This happens because manufacturers use the free Android software on their devices, but sometimes these devices don’t pass Google’s compatibility requirements to have the Google Play Store app installed. To help with this confusion, we’ve published a complete list of supported devices here:

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Jagga
Visitor

Hi - yep no HD playback for Google play movies. I actually sent Google an email and this was their response (no difference with 4.2.2):
Thanks for contacting Google Play Support. As it turns out, the Sony Xperia tablet Z is currently not compatible with video content on Google Play at this time, which is why you had trouble playing back movies in HD. Since you will not be able to watch purchases on this specific device, we encourage you to watch from play.google.com through a browser on your computer or using one of your other Android devices instead.

I know this might be confusing, but not all devices running Android are licensed to use Google Play. This happens because manufacturers use the free Android software on their devices, but sometimes these devices don’t pass Google’s compatibility requirements to have the Google Play Store app installed. To help with this confusion, we’ve published a complete list of supported devices here:
TwinflyDSW
Visitor

Thanks, Jagga. Sheds light on the GPM side of things.
Jagga
Visitor

But it is ridiculous that the XTZ isn't compatible to play HD content. Really need Sony to do something about this.
TwinflyDSW
Visitor

They need to indeed. It is one of those things that should have been made clear from the jump. Not the kind of thing a customer should have to discover down the road after spending £££s. Those kind of things make you question a brands integrity to their customers.

Prasadm1
Visitor

When I check the XTZ screen resolution using the Chrome browser ( www.whatsmyscreenresolution.com), it says 1280x752. When I use the browser from the small apps drawer, it says 1920x1200. But I use mostly Dolphin, which reports also 1920x1200.Wonder if this has something to do with it ? Can someone from Sony reply on what is wrong ? Even Sony's own video repository do not allow HD on XTZ for streaming it seems.

JTG_6
Visitor

Wow....

I love Sony devices, but I'm really starting to feel I've been mis-led. I bought the Tablet Z because I loved the look of it and thought that with an HD screen I'd be able to watch HD movies.

Then there was the 4.2.2 update which feels like a downgrade.

I may sell my Tablet Z and start looking at Samasung.... 

JTG_6
Visitor

I just went to Sony's own Video Unlimited and there are only SD movies available. What on earth is going on? The tablet is supposed to have an HD screen, yet you can't watch HD movies.

So far I have tried: 

Sony's Video Unlimited - HD not compatible

Google Play Movies - HD not compatible

Flixster (UltraViolet) - crashes when trying to play owned movies

20th Century Fox PlaysEverywhere - crashes when trying to play owned movies.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is the Xperia Tablet Z the wrong tablet to watch HD movies on?

MHitson
Visitor

Agree completely. HD viewing was the primary reason I purchased the tablet.

Looking at selling..

I'll be calling the local Sony reps, as this is just ridiculous. Spoke to their community guys on G+ and they initially wondered if it was a codec issue, but if VLC won't play it, nothing will. What use are those nice free movies and store credit it we can't buy HD stuff? Shocking really.