Join now - be part of our community!

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

AdKeyz
Explorer

KD55S8505C Video App Issue

Hi,

The Video app on my Sony TV (KD55S8505C) always stretches the image to fullscreen and there seems to be no way of changing this.

Pressing the action menu reveals an option for either "Expand" or "Fit to screen" but neither of these options change anything.

Playing the video with any other app, VLC or MX Player for example, the video will play correctly, however this is not an acceptable solution as you cannot enable 3D Mode with these apps (which is just plain rediculous) so to watch a 3D file I am forced to use Sony's own Video app and suffer the stretching which makes everything look awful and out of proportion.

Is there any fix for this or is it a known issue that will be resolved in a softaware update?

Thanks,

Adam.

Tags (4)
72 REPLIES 72
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

This problem doesn't even require a fix, it just needs Sony to go back to the set up that made the video app work perfectly. The fact that they can't be bothered to do something so incredibly simple with the minimum of effort involved is quite staggering. 

doomer87

Garymjh ha scritto:

This problem doesn't even require a fix, it just needs Sony to go back to the set up that made the video app work perfectly. The fact that they can't be bothered to do something so incredibly simple with the minimum of effort involved is quite staggering. 

Very very frustrating. The response of Sony to its customers is something ridicolous.

mrxcelsius
Explorer

And that's why I took it back after week and swapped it for a NOT Sony

Regards

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone

Note: Edited by Quinnicus to remove personal information

garylythgoe
Explorer

I've swapped out my perfectly good KD55X8505 for a KD65XD9305 with this 'Android' OS, and it's quite disappointing.

The DLNA streaming to the TV, is used almost every day and to find that I can't even adjust the aspect ratio of the picture is pretty shocking.

Come on Sony, sort it out?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@garylythgoe - until Sony manage to fix it - why not use Kodi or VLC for DLNA Streaming?

AdKeyz
Explorer

@Anonymous Because 3rd party apps cannot run in 3D mode. Another stupid thing this £1500 TV can't do!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@AdKeyz - even though there is no 3D menu in the action menu currently (another reported issue).  3D can be enabled via:

• A smart phone or table using an app called Video and TV SideView
  • Another Sony remote control that has a dedicated 3D button
profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Hi quinnicus. Thanks for the suggestion. Kodi is nowhere near as smooth as
the Sony video app and vlc offers dlna but it doesn't work and never has
worked (for anyone as far as a Google search shows) It's such a simple fix
for the video app, why on earth can't Sony just do it?
doomer87

Other months are passed, and this very stupid fix is still not available.

Thank you Sony.

profile.country.GB.title
TWLeebo

@Anonymous Here's a quirk I discovered the other day. If I play 2160p video (as opposed to 1080p), it displays in the correct ratio without fail, as soon as I try 1080p we're back to the stretched picture. As the workaround fixes the problem for me, I find this quite amusing but it makes the bug even more baffling!