Join now - be part of our community!

A-37 in-camera sharpness control?

profile.country.en_GB.title
Flying-Compass
Visitor

A-37 in-camera sharpness control?

Hi,

Ive recently bought an A37, this is my first DSLR, but ive used Minolta Dynax film SLRs for many years.

Im finding that the results with the 18-55mm lens are a little soft right off the bat, although the images generally are smashing. Ive heard it said in various reviews of this model that there is an in-camera sharpening/sharpness control that can be adjusted, but I cant find it.

Can anyone confirm this exists and if so direct me to the controls?

Cheers

Martin

4 REPLIES 4
Mick2011
New

HI Martin, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

You should be able to access the Sharpness adjustment, along with Contrast and Saturation, by pressing the [Fn] button and selecting [Creative Style].

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Hi

please also note that you can greatly improve the performance of the lens by stopping down the aperture 1 or 2 F-stops. Therefore, when there is sufficiant light set the camera to A-mode and select an aperture like F8 or so, instead of F3.5 (camera will often use the widest setting in AUTO mode.)

Flying-Compass
Visitor

Mick,

Thanks, setting found. I see its adjustable +/- 3 levels. If put it up to 2 and will take some comparision shots next time im out and about.

I'd expected to find it in a 'technical' menu option, I hadnt though of it being in the creative options.

Cheers

Cmosse - Im alreaady in full manual. I only use auto when being in manual isnt convenient (parties and the like, when I dont always have time to compose a shot how i'd like it). The sharpness issue was actually most noticeable on a well stopped-down series of shots of local churches, where I was heavily stopped down to get the requiered DOF.

profile.country.GB.title
almokdad

hi, thanks for your post, i bought this camera 2 days ago and i was about to post the same question when i encountered your post. i couldn't find the answer in the manual, and i'm finding the controls ( menues) a bit fiddly if you know what i mean  (not so straight to the point).

great camera though

thanks again