Join now - be part of our community!

A7 iii goes to mass storage mode when connecting a power bank

SOLVED
profile.country.FI.title
gadgetmies
Explorer

A7 iii goes to mass storage mode when connecting a power bank

I recently was taking a long time lapse and noticed I was starting to run out of battery during the shooting. I thought I could remedy the situation by connecting a power bank to the USB-C connector. When I connected the power bank the camera switched to USB mass storage mode and stopped the intervalometer. First I thought it was just a fluke as I was unable to get the issue reproduced. Then I realised that this seems to happen on my A7iii always if I connect the power bank during exposing. If I connect the power bank in between the shots, the camera does not switch the mode and starts charging as expected. Does this happen also for others (see steps below) or is it just my camera?

Steps to reproduce:

1. Set a longer exposure time (i.e. couple of seconds)

2. Turn on the intervalometer

3. Start the interval shooting

4. During the exposure, connect the power bank

Expected outcome:

The camera continues taking shots using the intervalometer and starts charging the battery.

Actual outcome:

The camera goes into the USB mass storage mode and stops the intervalometer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
danardi78
Expert

Escaled to support

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

You had used the usb-c port of powerbank?
At home, try to use a wall usb-a charger connected with a usb-a -> usb-c cable

profile.country.FI.title
gadgetmies
Explorer

I actually only had a USB-A to USB-C cable with me when I used the power bank. I tried now with both USB-A to USB-C and USB-C to USB-C and the result is the same. I also tested with two different power banks, but that did not make a difference. I have not tested with a wall charger, because that would be irrelevant for my use case. Perhaps I still could try that at some point to debug the issue further.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Found similar issue on international forums

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4273105

For sure a cable that that have only power contacts help to solve (it was the case on the link), for this reason I had tell you to try more charger: probably the one you are using had all 4 usb contacts used, the camera see that data bus is connected, so it try to communicate.

Otherwise try to change usb mode, and look if some other can help to workaround.

profile.country.FI.title
gadgetmies
Explorer

Will need to try a power only cable. Would be nice though if Sony could fix this as, at least to me, this seems like an obvious bug in the firmware. I'd prefer not having to worry about having the exact correct cable with me and having to stress about that when connecting a battery mid shoot.

Anyhow, thanks for the comments! Really appreciate the help!

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

I have to agree with you. But I dubit that a firmware update will come for A7iii.

Have you tryed to workaround with different selection on USB settings? https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1720/v1/en/contents/TP0001629775.html

profile.country.IT.title
danardi78
Expert

Escaled to support

profile.country.FI.title
gadgetmies
Explorer

I did check the options for the USB mode, but as there is no option for only charging, I do not think changing the mode would solve the issue. Also, as far as I can recall, the selection is disabled when using the internal intervalometer.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

@gadgetmies wrote:

I did check the options for the USB mode, but as there is no option for only charging, I do not think changing the mode would solve the issue. Also, as far as I can recall, the selection is disabled when using the internal intervalometer.

Oh yes, sure. But we are looking for something that is out of user manual.

So please, try any settings (Auto, Mass storage, MTP) and check.