Join now - be part of our community!

A7IV WIFI and USB-C functions

profile.country.NO.title
ersteff
New

A7IV WIFI and USB-C functions

Hi,

I have tried for quite a few days to find out why my new camera (A7IV) refuses to connect to wifi, and can not be detected by wether my desktop, Lightroom Classic nor Smart Shooter on a cabled (USB-C) connection. My old camera, a Sony A99II did all this seamlessly.

From the internet it seems like I am not the only one with these problems, so is there anyone in this community who has got a genious and working solution?

I would be ever so grateful cause this limits the camera's functions a lot!

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi ersteff, could you clarify what exactly happens? It would be helpful to know, so we can offer the proper steps.

In the meanwhile, try the steps here: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2110/v1/en/contents/TP1000616616.html 

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

What are you trying to do?
With camera OFF: is the orange led light ON when you plug the cable to computer?
Whit camera ON: what happen on the LCD when you connect the cable to the computer?
If you are going to use Lightroom as remote control camera, you can surrender immediately: you need for sony's imaging edge.
If you are going to use the camera as flash reader, you don't need to open any software: it will appear on your file explorer (if win) or finder (if mac). It not, be sure your connection setting is on mass storage https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2110/v1/en/contents/TP1000616544.html . If still not working try to change your cable (some cable for smartphone are made for recharge only, or are simply too bad to work for data transfer).
If still not working... I don't know, give use some more detail.

profile.country.GB.title
busterbboy
Explorer

I tried connecting my A7riv to my Macbook pro, and studied tutorials and forums until my eyes bled.

It just wasn't having it! I reset my camera to factory, tried every combination... MacBook could not connect with the camera.

I took my A7r4 to professional camera repair shop - Fixation in London - and they said, yep, Sony Imaging Edge doesn't work with Ventura. Other people have found this out the hard way, after 'upgrading to Ventura'. Other apps too.

So they offered two solutions (apart from taking the card out and sticking it in, no good at all for my purposes.

Either I could call Apple support and have them guide me through going back to an earlier OS; or else getting a trial of Capture 1. This I did, and Capture 1 knocks Imaging Edge out of the ring. It's great if you want to tether or shoot remotely. It's then really easy to export to Photoshop etc.

Downside: it's quite expensive, £24pcm or £299 for life. But it really works.