Join now - be part of our community!

Cleaning the mirror on A77V

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sjhughes
Visitor

Cleaning the mirror on A77V

The mirror on my A77 has what appears to be a small spot of grease on it.  This appears on photos where it is on an area of bright sky as an out of focus grey spot.  Can anyone suggest how to clean the mirror without damaging it?  The only cleaning instructions in the manual refer to cleaning the sensor.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi sjhughes :slight_smile:

Sony warn against touching the a77's mirror, and I can only reaffirm that note of caution. It's very easily marked and should be treated with at least as much care as the sensor beneath it.

The reason you see the spot on your images is that the mirror is of the 'pellicle' type which remains in place during exposure. This is the primary reason why you should never touch it, as it lies in direct path of the image and any/all marks on it will show up on your shots to some degree.

Treat it as you would the sensor: dust may be dislodged with a blower brush, but if you have something stuck it, take it to a decent camera store and get it professionally cleaned.

If you need advice for removing the mark from your photos, just ask :cool:

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Mick2011
New

Hi sjhughes :slight_smile:

Sony warn against touching the a77's mirror, and I can only reaffirm that note of caution. It's very easily marked and should be treated with at least as much care as the sensor beneath it.

The reason you see the spot on your images is that the mirror is of the 'pellicle' type which remains in place during exposure. This is the primary reason why you should never touch it, as it lies in direct path of the image and any/all marks on it will show up on your shots to some degree.

Treat it as you would the sensor: dust may be dislodged with a blower brush, but if you have something stuck it, take it to a decent camera store and get it professionally cleaned.

If you need advice for removing the mark from your photos, just ask :cool:

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
blatchford
New

Just in case I do this, what is the replacement part number and where can it be ordered from in the UK?

Many thanks

GB

twhthi
Visitor

The part number of the translucent mirror is The part number of the translucent mirror is A-1855-640-A and can be purchased on Sony's parts website at the following address:

www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com

Your requested quote is as follows:

Date of quote: 05/09/13

Account: NA

Quote number: 050913TH

Part number: A1855640A

Part description: P.O.I (SERVICE)

Price: $ 33.42

Availability: In stock

Hi Guys can you tel me the exacxt ocst of a replacemnet Sony A77 mirror including postage to postcode...SO304SL     UK........and how you accept payment ....kind regards John

eddiewood
Explorer