Join now - be part of our community!

enable contrast detection autofocus in slt camera

SOLVED
profile.country.it_IT.title
pallario
Visitor

enable contrast detection autofocus in slt camera

I just want to know if is possible enable a contrast detection autofocus (as in nex camera) in my slt a33

I need this for astrophotography

thank you very much

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi :slight_smile:

The a580 allows you to switch between phase- and contrast-detect focussing, but I'm really not sure the a33 does :thinking:

Is there a particular technique you wanted to use contrast-detect focussing with? Normally the best method is to switch AF off altogether and manually focus: with the a33 you can 'zoom focus', using the LCD display to live-view a very small, digitally-zoomed sector of the image plane, which you then use to attain critical (manual) focus.

This makes the a33 very useful for a number astro-photography applications, but I'm not clear how you would make use of auto-focussing, esecially if using a T-adaptor or similar. I'd be happy to help if you want to explain a little about what you're trying to achieve.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello mariettopallaro - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I am currently discussing your question with a contact of mine and I will let you know as soon as I have a little more information.

Thanks,

Simon

pallario
Visitor

thank you..

Mick2011
New

Hi :slight_smile:

The a580 allows you to switch between phase- and contrast-detect focussing, but I'm really not sure the a33 does :thinking:

Is there a particular technique you wanted to use contrast-detect focussing with? Normally the best method is to switch AF off altogether and manually focus: with the a33 you can 'zoom focus', using the LCD display to live-view a very small, digitally-zoomed sector of the image plane, which you then use to attain critical (manual) focus.

This makes the a33 very useful for a number astro-photography applications, but I'm not clear how you would make use of auto-focussing, esecially if using a T-adaptor or similar. I'd be happy to help if you want to explain a little about what you're trying to achieve.

Cheers

Mick

pallario
Visitor

thanks for your answer..

it's not so easy to catch the focus using manual focus.. sometimes you have to try many times

and with the long exposure you waste a lot of time because with a little loss of sharpness your photo is useless

I like slt cameras and I will buy  the slt a77 but I am sure that a contrast detection autofocus would be very useful

for astrophotography I use a sal 70300g

Message was edited by: mariettopallaro

pallario
Visitor

news?

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

If you take a look at Mick2011's reply above, is there any further information that you need?

Thanks,

Simon

Mick2011
New

All I can really add is a confirmation that contrast-detect AF is not available on the a77; it is possible on the a580 and higher-specced bodies, however.

Cheers

Mick

pallario
Visitor

can I hope that it will enable in the next firmware update?

Mick2011
New

It's unlikely, basically because Sony have decided not to implement contrast-detect AF capability at this level in the range.

If you're prepared to move to a new camera to get contrast detect AF, have you considered the NEX bodies?

Cheers

Mick