Join now - be part of our community!

NEX Alpha owners: What improvements would you make to your camera?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
p4ult212
Contributor

NEX Alpha owners: What improvements would you make to your camera?

We constantly strive to improve our products so we’d really appreciate your feedback on what changes you would make to your Sony NEX camera to make it even better.  Whether it’s to do with the design, usability or specific features just let us know what camera you use and what changes you’d make

22 REPLIES 22
Martin_C
Visitor

brbooth82's post seconded - it's so easy to catch the video button and wonder what's happening

Message was edited by: Martin_C

profile.country.GB.title
dvdbob

ability to dis able the vidia button - much needed on NEX7

Bob m

profile.country.GB.title
Harriflex
New

Doesn't it drive you mad! Just as you are about to take that prize-winning shot, you find that you have hit the video record button! Aggh! On one recent occasion a message appeared to say that I had to switch off the camera, as it had overheated, all down to shooting a couple of unwanted video sequences. Boy was it hot.

I am about to take the serious step of "Super-glueing" a small rubber 'O' ring over and around the button to prevent this happening again!

Come on Sony, your engineers could solve this in a jiffy - listen to your valued customers! Please!!

H Arriflex.....

profile.country.pl_PL.title
Nex7withLA-EA2
Visitor

I'm a nex-7 and LA-EA2 adapter user. I own a E-mount 18-55 kit lens and A-mount 18-250mm 3.5-6.3 sigma, 10-20mm F4-5.6 sigma and many manual lenses from other vendors. I would like to see those improvements to the nex firmware.

1. Global remote release option. Enable the remote to trigger all the release modes - bracketing, continious shooting etc.
  2. More bracketing settings: set the amount of shots manually, set the amount of ev difference manually in 0.1 increments
  3. Enable customisation of video record button. Allow reasigning the button and add a long press to start shooting option.
  4. EVF always on option / disable the proximity sensor option - it sometimes goes crazy and in critical situation it simply CAN'T go crazy. This option should be mapable to a button on toggle basis - for example the record button would be great.
  5. Shooting presets, it would be great to have many layouts for each of the shooting modes. Manual for all manual lenses, manual for AF lenses, video mode etc.
  6. With LA-EA2 attached the DMF mode should be optimised so that it is availble for all lenses, if the lens does not have AF it should simply default to MF, and if AF is selectable by a physical switch on the lens it should magnify the image if the assisted MF option is selected during focus ring change.
  7. Buffer memory availble indicator, sometimes when shooting a lot of pictures it would be good to know how many more can we shoot before the buffer will stop accepting more. I would rather stop shooting in time and not miss the critical moment.
  8. Mini review last shot option in the side of the screen. It would be great to have just a small thumbnail in the corner of the screen to see the last taken shot as an alternative to the fullscreen playback.

In further nex cameras I would like to see a low noise version of Nex-7 with a lower pixel count and a superb low noise performance. Also it would be great to see a non limited video recording time, more audio sensitivity options, flip out to the side LCD with 180 deg rotation, better anti dust system - I have to clean it quite often now.

More A-Mount lenses with Image Stabilisation. I like the phase detection AF that the LA-EA2 provides but I simply can't buy Sony Telephoto lenses because they don't feature IS features. The ISO performance on Nex-7 is not great, the Translucent Mirror substracts a little light so without IS it is really hard to get good pictures with telephoto lenses without a lot of noise.

profile.country.GB.title
Harriflex
New

I have felt like glueing the Video button down to stop accidentally recording - such a frustration. Then in my research came across this brilliant mod, Sony should take note! http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41106222

I do miss the option of connecting my camera to my MacBook. It would be great for Time-Lapse and instant record transfer when bulk copying and Filing.

What about a Software update Please Mr Sony?

profile.country.GB.title
Harriflex
New

Hi, Try this brilliant modification for covering the Video Record button.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1042&message=41106222

Howieleem
Visitor

Nex-7 Auto Exposure bracketing +/- 3 EV.

fudini
Visitor

Yes, this is much needed.

scon4061
Visitor

NEX-7

1 - The obvious one, the video button.

2 - When the AF is set to single shot the camera continues to continuously autofocus. Apparently this is normal for the NEX-7, but it must use a huge amount of battery power. It begs the question, why then have the option to select single AF.

Other than that the NEX-7 is brilliant.

Message was edited by: scon4061

ndav33

For NEX 7: A remote release for continuous shooting, landscape and macro photography.

The wireless remote is simply inadequate and won't work from the rear of the camera. Can't the mini-usb be utilised for this function. An adapter that will accept the sony wired remote would be great via usb. For a camera of this quality, not having a fully remote function was a real mistake.