Join now - be part of our community!

pillar boxing on videos

profile.country.en_GB.title
PEAWACK
Visitor

pillar boxing on videos

hi there,

when i use SONY DCR-SX33 camcorder for videos using windows live movie maker to upload to you tube i get pillar boxing, any help please folks?tried various programmes, i record in 16.9 and edit in 16.9 but video still has pillar boxing both before and after upload.

thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Mick2011
New

Hi there, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If the pillarboxing is visible in Windows Live before you upload maybe you just need to edit them out.

Have you tried using virtualdub to crop your videos?

http://www.virtualdub.org/

It's free download and very east to use.

Cheers

Mick

PEAWACK
Visitor

Hi Mick,

sorry for not answering sooner, i downloaded virtualdub, it doesn't support ASF files, so many forums my head is wrecked. the pillarboxing occurs when i shoot with screen showing in full length, if that makes sense?

i an shooting myself playing saxophone so want the sax in screen.

cheers

Mick2011
New

Hi :slight_smile:

Sorry that didn't work for you.

Have you tried editing with different software? It may be a setting in MM that's the issue. Videopad is pretty good, works with virtualdub too. Maybe try an import to that and if it's the same, we can start looking at camera settings :thinking:

It would probably help to see something you've uploaded, if you don't mind posting a link.

Cheers

Mick

PEAWACK
Visitor

PEAWACK
Visitor

hi Mick,thanks for your time on this, much appreciated, obviously you can see my problem right away!

If i want to show as mush saxophone as possible i need to move screen into vertical position, then my pillarboxing problems start.

my pc is awash with downloaded software that all promise to convert movie for virtualdub,some of it is so heavy my heads done in and still no solution, no codecs,blah blah! other vids i did i just used camcorder in horizontal position but then lose out on sax shot.

my wife'ssolution is to for me to buy laptop with built in camcorder to get desired movie, rather stay away from expence if i can.

the joy from playing sax is countered by many hours trying to sort problem!

Thanks again, peawack

Mick2011
New

Ok, I see what you're looking for now.

Are you setting the camera up on its side, so to speak, so that you fill the frame? I'm guessing you're rotating the video, which is when the letterboxing happens..? If you can explain the way you're setting it up I might be able to suggest an alternative method.

Mick

Mick2011
New

Sorry I missed your extra post there :dizzy:

The problem starts when you shoot the video vertically. You need to keep the camera horizontal, and 'live with' the extra space you get either side of the main interest, ie you and your sax.

If you do a Google video search on 'saxophone player' you'll find either the sax is missing (just the player's head visible, filling the frame) or there's alot of space either side, but you see the whole instrument.

I'm afraid that's the way to shoot sax! It's the same with double bass, harp, etc – it's a tall instrument and space either side is inevitable if you want to see the whole instrument, especially in 16:9...

Pull the camera back slightly, or zoom out. Make sure the background isn't too confused or distracting. Try shooting 3:4 and see if that helps. But keep the camera horizontal and you won't get letterboxing!

Mick

PEAWACK
Visitor

cheers Mick, guess i will have to ask wife to go halfs on new laptop! tried it on my daughters on sunday and you can get full length of sax in.

Thanks for all your help again.