Join now - be part of our community!

SEL1635GM - Firmware update App: process keeps crashing

profile.country.GB.title
Arthur2Sheds
Explorer

SEL1635GM - Firmware update App: process keeps crashing

I have a Sony A7RIII (ILCE-7M3) camera body and have just bought an SEL1635GM lens. My camera is at Ver. 4.01, with Lens V.03. The camera is connected to my Mac which is running macOS Ventura Version 13.2.

However, during camera comms setup to receive firmware update to the 16-35 lens - having followed the instructions diligently - the App crashes.  To confirm, the camera is disconnected when the software is started and the GUI windows opens up on but crashes when I click the connect button.  If I have the camera 'pre-connected' then the software asks me to disconnect. Again when I have undertaken this and pressed the "NEXT" button the App just crashes.

I have undertaken this process several times, with the same unsatisfactory results: anyone know how to resolve this impasse?

Many thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

What you are looking for? The V.03 Is the last Firmware for this Lens...:
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lenses-e-mount-lenses/sel1635gm/downloads
profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

What is the current version of software on the lens.

Click on this link to the download page for the lens,

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/lenses-e-mount-lenses/sel1635gm/downloads/00015773

Scroll down to System Requirements

Interestingly it does not mention macOS 13 which is Ventura, so have Sony caught up with Apples latest OS,

who knows, but this may be the problem. Have you had any issues with the Sony software on Ventura before.

Have you recently updated your Mac to macOS 13 Ventura or is it a new Mac.

If Sony haven't updated their software installer app to work with Ventura you may have to wait till they do

or use a Mac running an older version of macOS

https://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/mac/helper/11/en/index.html

Clicking the above link takes you to the download page for the System Software Update Helper

and again it only mentions macOS 11 and macOS 12 and not macOS13 Ventura.

profile.country.GB.title
Arthur2Sheds
Explorer

Thank you for your response, much appreciated. 

I didn’t see, in any of the pages I visited, what the latest version for the lens was. My standard thinking is that if I download any updates - camera and lenses - then the firmware update process would either notify me, or overwrite the current version. The end result is I’m up-to-date. 

Either way, the App should not crash! 

Thanks again 

profile.country.GB.title
Arthur2Sheds
Explorer

Thanks a lot for your feedback. 

It’s v0.3 which, according to another respondent, is the latest version. I did download (twice in case one of the downloads was faulty) the correct firmware update file, and ran it according to instructions. As mentioned, the App crashed - and sends a report direct to Apple. 

In further research I did find correspondence / complaints about Sony not keeping up to date with current Operating Systems. 

Appreciate the time taken to respond to my request for help.