Join now - be part of our community!

SEL55-210

profile.country.en_GB.title
peppermintpatty123
Visitor

SEL55-210

Is anyone else experiencing dissappointing results with this lense?  I can not get a very good zoom on it at all .... in fact , other people's cheap point and shoot cameras with built in zoom are getting much closer to distant objects than I am.  I'm wondering if I have a faulty lense, it was bought last October ... at the time of the floods in Thailand (it has a made in Thailand sticker) ....  anyone else had this problem with their lense? (I have the Nex 5)

3 REPLIES 3
nimbystripes
Visitor

So far, mine works pretty well. Your lense might have a defect. You need to have it checked.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello peppermintpatty123 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If you are concerned about the performance of your camera, I would advise you to get in touch with Sony Customer Services so you can find out whether it needs to be checked out or not. Full contact details are available in the following forum thread:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Thanks,

Simon

Mick2011
New

Hi perppermintpatty :slight_smile:

I'm wondering if you're simply expecting too much of the lens, or rather the camera...

Compact cameras do have especially long zoom ranges due to their very small sensors, which multiply the effective focal length of a lens.

Have a look at this chart: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sensor_sizes_overlaid_inside_-_updated.svg

You can see the NEX-5's APS-C sensor has a 'crop factor' of 1.5 - this means it is going to make your 210mm zoom an effective 315mm (210 x 1.5 = 315) - not bad, but not a huge telephoto either.

That chart also shows the typical 1/2.3"-sized sensor in a compact camera is tiny in comparison. The 1/2.3" crop factor of 5.62 would almost make your 210mm into an effective 1200mm... which is why people (and manufacturers) refer to the cameras as 'superzooms': they don't have a super-duper lens, just a tiny sensor chip with a huge crop factor.

The big sensor in your NEX-5 is the reason it produces such good-quality images. In fact the lens you have is probably much sharper than the optics in many compacts, such that if you cropped the centre 30% out of one of your NEX photos you would actually get something approaching the crop/zoom factor of a compact and better image quality to boot.

If you want to zoom in more while using your NEX, you could perhaps consider an adaptor + teleconverter. The NEX system doesn't use a conventional convertor, but it is possible to adapt something like the DH1758 to the front of the 55-210 (using a filter step-up ring) which will double the length of the lens to an effective 630mm.

I hope that makes sense!

Cheers

Mick