Join now - be part of our community!

sony A7 dmf unlock half pressed AE lock and full press shutter lag question

everybodyisone
Explorer

sony A7 dmf unlock half pressed AE lock and full press shutter lag question

hi,

I have two questions about the Sony A7 (I) ilce-7 camera.

1, when I use dmf I first metering and locking the AE by half pressing the shutter button then I recompose the picture and when I adjusting the focus manually (dmf) the AE lock is immediately unlocking and it adjust the exposition to the new light condition which is annoying that's why I half press the shutter button to keep the first metering values... is it a bug or I can set it somewhere or I do something wrong?

2, When I quickly full press the shutter button it has a very large lag. When I half press it meters sets itself AF etc. and then I full press its ok, its not so much but when I directly full press it is the lag. Even if I in M mode and everything is set to manual, no af, iso is manually set, it doesn't shot immediately. Also when it is in P mode or any others, and I lock AE use manual focus pre-set everything and there is this huge lag also. I thought first it is because it meters and set things but with these locks and pre-settings I really don't know why is this lag. Pretty annoying, same question, can I set something to avoid this or I should accept, it is like this...?

Thank you your answers.

András

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

I don't have an A7 anymore to check for you, it could be that in DMF mode the A7 behaves differently. There is a menu option for the behaviour of the shutter button: lock exposure and keep it locked or not when half pressed. It wasn't entirely clear from your text, but does your A7 behave differently when not using DMF? Perhaps check your menu items for the behaviour of the shutter button.

A walkaround is to use AEL, set to toggle (in the menu). But that's not the real solution of course...but perhaps your best option if it is indeed a "bug" in the DMF mode. :wink:

About the shutter lag: I don't think you experience a longer shutter lag, but I did notice a few things: the "travel" of the shutter button is a bit deeper than on other cameras. But as you say, when half pressed and then fully pressed, it's OK. That's normal for the A7. I thing you'll have to learn to live with it :slight_smile:

Hi,
First of all thank you for your reply I really appreciate your answer.

So maybe I wasn't so clear about my dmf issue. Its easy. I first set focus
and exposure by half press the shutter button. It is set to lock both. Then
I recompose the picture or I can say re-frame the picture. Framing
sometimes take some time while I still hold the shutter button. Since the
focus field could be quite shallow I sometimes think it would be great to
adjust manually the focus distance but only the focus I guess this is dmf
for since it is working only with half pressed locked focus. But in the
very moment I start to adjust the focus by the ring on the lens it is
re-exposing the picture, it change darker or brighter and I can start
again. I realize its better to just lock the exposure with the dedicated AE
lock but it is still weird but I guess I was right it should work as I
thought without unlocking AE lock and it is just a bug. I hope its clear
now. I just couldn't figure out if this unlocking thing really was just a
bug or I just miss something... but anyway not a big deal. I wish I could
speak to sony dev team but I can only send mail to some help-desk guy who
doesn't have a clue I guess...

About the shutter lag. Also not a big deal I just also cannot figure it out
what a heck can happen during that lag... why it is not doing what it
should immediately... I thought its the focusing time so I turned AF off, I
thought it is metering so I turned to manual mode ok maybe it is still
setting iso. I set it a fixed value from auto.. what else could be... so I
was just wondering maybe somebody is more expert than me could help me....

Anyway thanks again I hope you could follow my English.

you can check my photos here :
https://www.flickr.com/photos/everybodyisone/

best,
András
profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Hi Andras!

I understood your first post, bu after re-reading my own post, I myself was not very clear :nauseated_face:

If indeed the A7 AE again when turning the focus ring AND shutter button is set to actually lock AE, then you might consider this a bug. On the Sony A99, it behaves just the way you would like it to (with non-focus by wire lenses that is). On the (old) Nex-5N, it also keeps the AE locked just the way you want. :wink:

But it could also very well be a deliberate change perhaps to adjust exposure of the image to allow MF (in DMF) more precisely as a dark or bright image is not useful to help focussing. :thinking:

I know that it's not possible to speak to development team (would also be my wish), but I can pass on your message to someone from Sony and hope that message arrives where it should. :thumbsup:

That would be awesome if you could do that. Thanks. I hope at least they can obtain this information about this bug if they didn't know already. I'm quite naiv and I guess this kind of big companies have people to just checking reviews and forums about issues and problems but who knows... however "he" maybe was not able to obtain this issue since I also didn't find anything about that. But they might have an answer for the shutter lag qustion also... I wish it would be also just some bug or just the matter of software optimalization.

Anyway thank you again.

András

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Hi András,

Just wanted to let you know that I informed Sony about this possible bug. I wouldn't set my hopes too high that you or we will get an answer, but at least they have been informed for this model or any future model. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your input!

Thank you very much. We'll see...
everybodyisone
Explorer

So the thing is I owe you a big apology. I was so sure I set the "AEL w/ shutter" correctly but I didn't so the dmf thing is just works as it shoud. I was so sure because the shutter locked the AE. But I checked again and there was set to "auto". I set it now to "on" and it solves everything. I really hope I didn't cause you any problem or inconvinient.

The only question I till ask is the direct full press lag...

I hope others can learn from my inattentiveness.

Best, 

András

profile.country.BE.title
Portmixus
Hero

Hi Andras,

No problem! I sent them a note...