Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7iii grainy focusing in studio lighting

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian2019
Explorer

Sony A7iii grainy focusing in studio lighting

I have a new Sony A7iii with a Sony 55mm Lens F1.8 when I was doing a studio shoot with Bowen strobe lighting whilst I focused on my subject the EVF and viewfinder were really grainy/noisy making clear focusing very difficult. The actual taken image was excellent but focusing was very difficult to see if actually focused before shot. Is there anything I can do?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @Adrian2019, welcome to the Community.

As you might imagine, there's a setting for that!

Go to the main Menu, and select Gear > 3 > Live View Display > Setting Effect Off to allow for focussing etc under modelling light.

Hopefully that'll fix the problem.

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Adrian2019
Explorer

Thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, I have already completed that setting which enables me to see the viewfinder whilst using strobe/studio lighting, but the problem only exists when I doing studio work.  Someone has suggested it is the quality of the viewfinder that the problem is, the 'R' series has a much better quality EVF and doesn't suffer this problem.  It is a big disappointment with the camera, although the actual final images are very pleasing.  I am concerned that it is only my camera as no one else appears to have the problem?

profile.country.GB.title
Steveatesh
Explorer

Not just yours, mine does the same. I suppose it was one of the ways Sony was able to sell such a capable camera at the price they do!