Join now - be part of our community!

Steadyshot violent shake A7iii even after firmware 3.01 update !

profile.country.GB.title
Steveatesh
Explorer

Steadyshot violent shake A7iii even after firmware 3.01 update !

I really hope somebody can help with this. After 15 months of faultfree use my A7iii has started to fault, namely the steadyshot shakes from minor shake to a violent shake during use. It doesn’t matter whether it has just been switched on or what lens (I have 3 GMaster lens and the camera does it with them all).

i have tried switching the camera off, waiting, then on again but it still does it.

i have tried removing the battery and holding in the shutter button for 30 seconds but that has not fixed it either. 

if I switch IBIS off then the shaking stops, but really, IBIS is an essential part of this Camera and that is not a solution.

it first manifested itself one week ago, I have updated to the latest firmware 3.01 which I had hoped was a fix, but the fault started today on a professional shoot.

any easy fixes that work, or is it a return to the retailer issue? 

I note that the problem is quite common amongst Sony Alpha users.........

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Steveatesh,

did you reset your camera to factory settings? Maybe it is a camera setting which causes the IBIS to act up?

Also it is the first time I heard about that issue, could you please provide a source which confirms that it is "common"?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Steveatesh
Explorer

Hello @IamNic 

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have reset the camera back to factory, and a suggested fix I found online (I believe from Sony IIRC, I've read that much stuff on it recently lol) involving taking the battery out, holding the shutter release button in for 30 secs, reinserting battery, switching on and off, switching IBIS on and off, but the problem is still apparent.

Last night I have repeated the whole thing again, factory reset and buton pressing, so am going to give it a good try out when charged. I am not optimistic judgunbg by other peoples experiences, but its still under warranty so theres a silver lining to that cloud.

The camera worked flawlessly until I updated to Version 3 Firmware then the problem manifested itself with a few days. Other users had the problem manifest itself after updating to V.2 firmware, so it might just be coincidnece. I use the camera professionally and the last 2 jobs the fault has appeared, causing massive problems on both shoots.

As for being common, I had never heard of the issue either until it happened to my camera, then of course Google and Youtube bring up other peoples stories about the same issue, on this and other Sony cameras with IBIS. However, I'm not moaning about Sony, I accept faults happen on just about everything - my Nikon D5100 broke after 4 years, the D750 was recalled over shutter issues, and I see Nikon are now recalling the mirrorless cameras apparently.

I put an entry here hoping somebody could advice me of a simple fix, but it looks like its going back to Sony if the fault is still there.