Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7RV EVF pixelated edges when viewing with zoom

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Sony A7RV EVF pixelated edges when viewing with zoom

Hi

I recently bought an A7RV and have just noticed that if I view an image through the EVF, and press the zoom button to review the image in detail, high contrast edges such as a bird or leaf against the sky, are highly pixelated around the edge of the subject.   The LCD display appears fine, and the pictures are also fine, so the problem seems limited to the EVF.  But the A7RV EVF is supposed to be very high resolution, so I can't understand what is going on.

To compare, if I take the same shot with the same lens on my Sony A7Riv, the problem does not occur.  Neither does it occur on my wife's A7RV, so I am wondering if mine is faulty or there is a menu setting I just can't find to fix this.  I have tried setting the display quality to high in the finder/monitor menu, but that doesn't fix it.

While making these comparisons, I also noticed that when I press the zoom button while viewing, I only get about half the zoom in the EVF, compared to my A7Riv and my wife's A7RV.  I have to press the button again to zoom in closer, but that's when I get the badly pixelated edges in the EVF.

Can anyone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Eureka!!!

I downloaded the latest firmware but the camera wouldn't accept it, as it already up to date.

As a completely random next step, I thought I would reset the camera, so I pressed the Initialise button.

After setting up, I've just taken a picture and the view through the EVF seems to be cured i.e. no more pixelation!  I'll keep testing and report back later if anything to add.

It has made me retrace my steps when I got the camera. It came with the v1 firmware. I set the camera up, and later on installed the V2 update.  I didn't press the Initialise button at that time though so maybe it's something to do with the update process?

Anyway, at the present time, everything is good again! Phew!!!

Thank you for your help.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

You can select the initial magnification from menu

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2230/v1/en/contents/TP0002919984.html

Regards the EVF, are you able to post a picture taken with your phone (for example) of the issue of EVF?

If it’s a real issue, you can only contact support to have technical analysis.

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Hi Team

Thank you for your reply.(a) Sony A7Rv.JPG(b) Sony A7Rv.JPG(c) Sony A7Riv.JPG(d) Sony A7Riv.JPG

I've taken a picture of a tree branch, one with the A7RV, and one with my A7Riv.
I've then used my mobile phone (a Sony Xperia 5iv, which is excellent!) to take a picture of the images in the EVF of each camera.  I used the same lens on each camera and took simple snaps on the P setting.  Moving clouds between shots changed the background colour but that makes no difference to the pixelation you can see in the shots.  
The first two images (a) and (b) (with bluer background) are taken through the EVF of the Sony A7Rv, which show the pixelation around the leaves.
The second two images (c) and (d) (with whiter background) are taken through the EVF of the Sony A7Riv, and have no pixelation.
Please let me know if you need anything else.
Kind regards
Mark 

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

It seem at all a compression of image. The more evidence in EVF vs LCD could be the highest contrast of oled inside EVF.

For me it’s not an issue of the EVF.

Are you using uncompressed raw in both cameras, and without “+ JPG” option?

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Hi

I think they're both set the same:

On the A7RV, in Image Quality Settings 3/55, Slot 1 is set t jpeg Fine, L 60M.  Slot 2 is Raw (S).

In Recording Media Settings 1/1, Photo Media is set to Sort Recording. Video Media is set to Slot 2.

On the A7Riv, in Setup 5/7, Slot 1 is prioritised and set to Sort (jpeg/raw)

In Quality/Size 1/15, File Format is Raw&JPEG. RAW is compressed. JPEG is Fine. Image Size is L 60M.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Try to set RAW only. It could be a difference on jpg management on playback.

At the base, the EVF has no problem because menu (that has high contrast) is well displayed. So it’s not an hardware issue.

Probably is a difference in software, and we are looking at that

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

I tried setting both slots to RAW (s) and then Raw Uncompressed but it doesn't solve the problem.  If software, do you think I should reset and re-install the latest firmware?

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

On so complex devices, the reset is always a chance, but I dubit this is the case.

As “software issue” I mean that it could be normal.

I try to keep you in contact with support, maybe they have better answer 🫣🤞

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

PS: you don’t have modified the picture style with details or contrast boosted, right?

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2230/v1/en/contents/TP0002920003.html

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Nah, in Exposure menu 18/55, I have DRO on, Creative Look Standard, Picture Profile Off, and Skin Effect Off.  Thanks for the thought though.