Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A7RV EVF pixelated edges when viewing with zoom

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Sony A7RV EVF pixelated edges when viewing with zoom

Hi

I recently bought an A7RV and have just noticed that if I view an image through the EVF, and press the zoom button to review the image in detail, high contrast edges such as a bird or leaf against the sky, are highly pixelated around the edge of the subject.   The LCD display appears fine, and the pictures are also fine, so the problem seems limited to the EVF.  But the A7RV EVF is supposed to be very high resolution, so I can't understand what is going on.

To compare, if I take the same shot with the same lens on my Sony A7Riv, the problem does not occur.  Neither does it occur on my wife's A7RV, so I am wondering if mine is faulty or there is a menu setting I just can't find to fix this.  I have tried setting the display quality to high in the finder/monitor menu, but that doesn't fix it.

While making these comparisons, I also noticed that when I press the zoom button while viewing, I only get about half the zoom in the EVF, compared to my A7Riv and my wife's A7RV.  I have to press the button again to zoom in closer, but that's when I get the badly pixelated edges in the EVF.

Can anyone help please?

14 REPLIES 14
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey PharoahZorba,

If you are experiencing pixelation on the edges of the electronic viewfinder (EVF) on your camera, there are a few potential reasons for this issue:

1. Low image quality setting: Check the image quality settings on your camera. If you have set the image quality to a lower resolution or if you are shooting in JPEG format with heavy compression, it can result in pixelation or loss of detail, including on the edges of the EVF.

2. Display settings: The pixelation may also be related to the display settings of the EVF. Make sure that the display resolution is set to its highest setting. You can usually find these settings in the camera's menu under the display or viewfinder options.

3. Dirt or smudges on the EVF: Check the surface of the EVF for any dirt, fingerprints, or smudges that might be affecting the image quality. Clean the surface gently using a microfiber cloth or lens cleaning solution to remove any debris that could be causing the pixelation.

4. Firmware issues: Ensure that your camera's firmware is up to date. Sometimes, camera manufacturers release firmware updates that address display issues and improve overall performance. 

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/e-mount-body-ilce-7-series/ilce-7rm5/downloads

5. Hardware malfunction: In rare cases, the pixelation on the edges of the EVF could be due to a hardware malfunction. If none of the above solutions resolve the issue, it may be necessary to send it for inspection.

You can contact the support here: 

https://services.sony.co.uk/supportmvc/en/Contact/Email?cat=mobile&tab=Tips

It's worth noting that EVFs typically have a lower resolution compared to the camera's actual sensor. Therefore, some level of pixelation or loss of detail around the edges may be normal. However, if the pixelation is excessive or interfering with your ability to accurately compose your shots, it's best to address the issue using the steps mentioned above.

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Hi and thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately I've already worked through items 1 to 3 to no avail.

I'm re-downloading the latest firmware and will re-install as a long-shot. 

Otherwise, unless Support has any further suggestions, I think I might have to put it in for an examination/repair.

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hi PharoahZorba, if the issue remains after all the above, then certainly it needs to be sent for inspection, I put the contact details for Sony support above. Good luck. 

profile.country.GB.title
PharoahZorba

Eureka!!!

I downloaded the latest firmware but the camera wouldn't accept it, as it already up to date.

As a completely random next step, I thought I would reset the camera, so I pressed the Initialise button.

After setting up, I've just taken a picture and the view through the EVF seems to be cured i.e. no more pixelation!  I'll keep testing and report back later if anything to add.

It has made me retrace my steps when I got the camera. It came with the v1 firmware. I set the camera up, and later on installed the V2 update.  I didn't press the Initialise button at that time though so maybe it's something to do with the update process?

Anyway, at the present time, everything is good again! Phew!!!

Thank you for your help.

Piscie
Community Team

Hello @PharoahZorba, brilliant! Thanks for updating the thread with the solution!