Join now - be part of our community!

Red cross appears over battery icon and green light flashing on Sony laptop

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
ViaoRules
Explorer

Red cross appears over battery icon and green light flashing on Sony laptop

The computer I have is a Sony Vaio laptop VPCF13Z1E and the operating system is Windows 8. I've had it for about two years.

All of a sudden a red cross has appeared over the battery icon in the bottom left-hand corner of my computer desktop (when I move my mouse over it, it says "0% remaining" all the time. The on button, on the right of the laptop, is constantly flashing green all the time (very distracting!). Also the charging light, a small battery image on the front of the computer, is constantly flashing orange. This is all while the laptop is plugged in.

When I unplug the laptop, it stops working altogether..

When I leave the laptop plugged in, but have it switched off, it still doesn't charge up the battery.

Does this mean the battery has gone?

Is there any solution to this please? The computer/battery is not too old, and I don't understand how the battery can go completely all of a sudden.

I've tried to take the battery out and put it in again several times, but the issue is still occurring.

When fully charged, the laptop would work for about 45 minutes until the problem started occurring today.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there :slight_smile:

Unfortunately batteries can die on a 2 year old model, sometimes even less.

You don't have to buy a Sony battery but I don't know how long other batteries last for etc.

Sony do make a large capacity battery for your model, have a look at This

There's also the regular battery listed on the accessories page for the VPCF13Z1E/B Here

View solution in original post

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi VaioRules,

has the battery issue only statrted since you upgraded to windows 8.?

If not then it does sound like a battery issue, I wouldn't recommend getting a non Sony battery as you could have problems, that being said you may find cheaper prices than buying a replacement battery direct from Sony via Google but be aware than some retailers sell non Sony compatible batteries with the same battery model number..

If you want to be sure this is a battery problem before spending out on a battery you could see if your local Sony Centre has another vaio with a similar battery & see if that battery works correctly on your Vaio..

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
ViaoRules
Explorer

If I need to buy a new battery, does it make any actual difference what brand the new battery is please?

Is it possible to buy a battery with a longer life, as even when I bought the computer brand new it only remained on for about an hour if not plugged in?

Many thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there :slight_smile:

Unfortunately batteries can die on a 2 year old model, sometimes even less.

You don't have to buy a Sony battery but I don't know how long other batteries last for etc.

Sony do make a large capacity battery for your model, have a look at This

There's also the regular battery listed on the accessories page for the VPCF13Z1E/B Here

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi VaioRules,

has the battery issue only statrted since you upgraded to windows 8.?

If not then it does sound like a battery issue, I wouldn't recommend getting a non Sony battery as you could have problems, that being said you may find cheaper prices than buying a replacement battery direct from Sony via Google but be aware than some retailers sell non Sony compatible batteries with the same battery model number..

If you want to be sure this is a battery problem before spending out on a battery you could see if your local Sony Centre has another vaio with a similar battery & see if that battery works correctly on your Vaio..