Join now - be part of our community!

A65 studio flash problem!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
andehollis
Visitor

A65 studio flash problem!

Help! i've just bought a a65 and its brilliant apart from when i take it into the studio set up, the images taken are all dark and under exposed, even the professional photographer is puzzled! What are we doing wrong? The same set up on his Cannon works perfectly, so frustrating

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_DE.title
cmosse
Contributor

Hi

the Live View setting (Effect OFF or ON) affects whether the Live view image will give you a preview of the final image, based on the exposure setting. As it relies to the ambient light the EVF/LCD will be dark when using the camera in M-mode and setting shutter speed and aperture to typical values used in studio photograoyh with external studio flashes (e.g. F9 and 1/125s).  The final image will not be affected but of course framing and composing your shoot will be somewhat difficult with a near black live view image....

Setting the Live View image effect to OFF (custom menu) will give a bright live image independend from the aperture/shutter speed setting.

If the final image however is underexposed there might be a sync problem with camera <-> external flash. What kind of "wireless flash gun" do you use exactly?

BR
Michael

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello andehollis - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Could you please describe exactly how you have set up the A65 and flash when you have it in the studio i.e. external flash type, your chosen flash settings on the camera etc. I will then look into this further for you.

Also, it may help if you can upload a few of the shots that you have taken - they can be attached to this forum thread using the 'insert image' button in the toolbar above the message that you are typing (the camera icon).

Thanks,

Simon

cmosse
Contributor

Hello

it is probably a sync problem between the external flash and the camera shutter so the most important question is how do you connect the studio flash to the camera (use the Sony studio flash adapter or some other solution?)

BR

Michael

andehollis
Visitor

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, basically i used the wireless flashgun attached to the camera to trigger the Studio flash, but i've read that it could be the EVF effect that i need to turn off to resolve this problem, trouble is i deleted the photos i had (yes stupid i know) and the studio i was using has been busy so far to retake the photos.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

It is definitely worth trying this with the EVF turned off to see if there is any improvement. Once you do get the opportunity to retake these photos, please upload them here so we can all take a look.

Thanks,

Simon

cmosse
Contributor

Hi

the Live View setting (Effect OFF or ON) affects whether the Live view image will give you a preview of the final image, based on the exposure setting. As it relies to the ambient light the EVF/LCD will be dark when using the camera in M-mode and setting shutter speed and aperture to typical values used in studio photograoyh with external studio flashes (e.g. F9 and 1/125s).  The final image will not be affected but of course framing and composing your shoot will be somewhat difficult with a near black live view image....

Setting the Live View image effect to OFF (custom menu) will give a bright live image independend from the aperture/shutter speed setting.

If the final image however is underexposed there might be a sync problem with camera <-> external flash. What kind of "wireless flash gun" do you use exactly?

BR
Michael

andehollis
Visitor

Thanks for the help, turning the evf off worked a treat! Top guys all of you

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Glad you got it working. Thanks also to cmosse for your input :slight_smile:

Simon