Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot pair Remote Commander with Alpha 1

profile.country.GB.title
k0065126
Explorer

Cannot pair Remote Commander with Alpha 1

I had this problem last year and thought that I had solved it, but have not used the Remote Commander for several months and now it does not pair. Last time it seemed to be turning off Smartphone Connection solved the problem. It does not work this time.

I have Menu/network/Bluetooth/Bluetooth Function set to On.

Menu/network/Transfer Remote/Bluetooth Rmt Ctrl is also On.

I then  go to Menu/network/Bluetooth/Pairing and press the Shutter Release and + (or -) on the Remote Commander for anything up to 20 seconds, but nothing happens. The light on the Commander does not flash at any time although it is supposed to flash if pairing fails.

The battery in the Remote Commander is over 3 volts, the Lock button is in the correct position and I have tried changing the position of the other two buttons from Still to Movie and Focus to Zoom to see if that made any difference, which it did not, although I would not expect it to.

The only clue I have is that the 'no Bluetooth connection' icon is displayed on the camera's screen before I start trying to pair, which suggests that there may be a camera setting which needs to be changed, but I don't know what.

Does anyone have any ideas please, because I have run out of them. Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Have you seen that?

https://youtu.be/Ufocv7fm0CI

profile.country.GB.title
k0065126
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion, it does not cover what to do if pairing does not happen.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

It was just to check if your pair is correct.

Have you seen the troubleshooting?

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1820/v1/en/contents/TP0002240393.html

profile.country.GB.title
k0065126
Explorer

Thanks, I have seen that, and double checked the Commander was set correctly. I think the problem is on the camera as the no Bluetooth connection icon is showing because the Commander has not been paired with the camera for several months.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

I'm tempted to suggest you to reset the camera to initial conditions, it's an easy way to bypass any option conflict that user don't remember to have set and many time it solve.
But I know that it's like a "format c:" (if you are a boomer like me, you know): you lost all personalizations that you must re set from zero.

May be that the best is to wait some other user 🤞

profile.country.GB.title
k0065126
Explorer

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks as if I might have to do that. Perhaps in a few days when I have plenty of time to make a note of my current settings so that I can reinstate them.

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

My strategy is to make a video with a smartphone while I’m scrolling all menu 

profile.country.GB.title
k0065126
Explorer

Thanks for the idea.