Join now - be part of our community!

New A6700 mechanical 'fan' noise

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

New A6700 mechanical 'fan' noise

The body of the camera is making a a noise like a fan or motor. It is audible shooting stills in a quiet room and also on video playback.

Lenses make no difference and neither does turning IBIS off. I've reset the camera and it made no difference 😞

Can anybody else hear this? It is very noticable if you put your ear to the base of the camera.

I'm very disappointed as everything else about the camera is excellent. 

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

That seems to be like mine. It would not be as annoying if the noise wasn't recorded on videos but it is.

I'll post a wav file of the noise when I'm on my pc later 

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

That does not sound like coul whine, certainly not like any that i have heard in graphics cards. 

I intend to get it swapped out, but don't want to return the 2x extra lenses i also purchased. I hope my experience there will be better than with Sony support where both agents i spoke with were useless and never replied to my follow up emails. 

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

Yes, I've had sony cameras for years and the power on ibis is expected, i just didn't notice it as much on the a6700 at first. 

My A77ii is inaudible, but i listened to the bottom of my rx100 and i can hear a similar noise, but quieter, and not audible when my ear is not pressed to the base of the camera, unlike the A6700 which i can hear when it is in my hands, checking out the menus etc, and as background noise in videos, almost like my old Hi8 camcorder! 

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

If it’s recorded in video, you have to contact sony support. Absolutely.

Maybe that it’s not an issue of your device, and it’s common on all 6700 due to the better IBIS in newer cameras, but they have to know that customer can’t use in video.

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

Do you think that the linked sound  extracted from a video made by camera is normal /acceptable? 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BNw-WTX4qk5oqtsHzwFc5-Kr0Nmq0cIY/view?usp=drivesdk 

Thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
IT_Troll
Explorer

I also have an RX100. You are correct that the RX100 has a similar, but much quieter sound, not really audible in normal use.

Here is my audio, taken from in camera recording on the a6700. In the middle I turn a control dial a couple of times to help gauge noise levels.

https://whyp.it/tracks/114533/a6700-white-noise-plus-control-dial?token=KHeMl

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Never tried to record video in total silence, I can’t judge 

profile.country.GB.title
danardeng
Contributor

Compared to dial sound seems to be really low

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

That sounds similar, but much quieter. I'd expect a little noise, but not as much as i'm getting 

I only tested via a 'silent' video to send to support to check if it was faulty - still no reply!

I can hear it when holding the camera in a quiet room, which is why I thought it was a cooling fan, and I'm partially deaf! 

I've contacted sales to get it exchanged. 

profile.country.GB.title
IT_Troll
Explorer

Yeah, I guess so. It is just surprising that there is constant white noise, regardless what the camera is doing and then what I assume is IBIS adjustment noise. I imagine the camera will be doing some in-camera noise suppression which I suspect will reduce the effect a little in the recording.