Join now - be part of our community!

New A6700 mechanical 'fan' noise

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

New A6700 mechanical 'fan' noise

The body of the camera is making a a noise like a fan or motor. It is audible shooting stills in a quiet room and also on video playback.

Lenses make no difference and neither does turning IBIS off. I've reset the camera and it made no difference 😞

Can anybody else hear this? It is very noticable if you put your ear to the base of the camera.

I'm very disappointed as everything else about the camera is excellent. 

30 REPLIES 30
profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

Even with ibis off the sensor is being held stationary /floating and that seems to be the cause of the noise. Not sure if it is done by motors and/or magnetically, but it is intrusive. 

profile.country.GB.title
daveyh64
Contributor

Is there a retail store near you that sells this particular model of Sony camera, if so you could

visit and test it to see if the display model makes the same level of noise as yours.

profile.country.GB.title
IT_Troll
Explorer

I believe IBIS uses an electromagnetic coil. Which is why I described the noise as coil whine. As you said, it remains powered up even when disabled/locked.

I unboxed the camera late last night when the house was quiet. The noise was immediately obvious to me as soon as I turned the camera on.

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

@daveyh64 unfortunately not, store supplies are delayed, which is why I went directly to sony, otherwise I'd have picked it up and tested locally

profile.country.GB.title
IT_Troll
Explorer

Searching generally for Sony IBIS noise produces a few hits. The conclusion I am coming to is that some noise is normal, but some cameras are worse than others. Or I am just overly sensitive!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi all you must have missed my post in this thread stating the issue wasn't normal.

Just to let you all know @ianwhite16 has been offered an exchange :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
IT_Troll
Explorer

It does seem that some level of electromagnetic noise is normal on cameras with IBiS. The noise is more pronounced when the lens cap or body cap is in place, which is how it was when I first powered up the camera.

YouTuber Tom Calton includes some in camera auto focus audio recordings in his lens reviews which are comparable to what I recorded.

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

I'll check him out. However i tried with the lens set to manual focus and the sensor noise was still there. 

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

Just to say that the camera was replaced but still has the noise, though maybe not as much as the first one? 

It must just be due to the IBIS mechanism in the small body, but disappointing for a camera designed for high-end video and not something that occured with my A77II.

I'll try to upload an audio clip, with intentional heavy strap rattling!  You can hear the whiring/pulsing sound - mainly afterwards 😞

profile.country.GB.title
ianwhite16

Video audio extract link - hopefully it works https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArefbMR2H2PuhfhFOe95vaQZRmP2_g?e=a7KsZt