Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-5 firmware upgrade crash

profile.country.en_GB.title
alankwchung
Visitor

NEX-5 firmware upgrade crash

Dear all,

After ereciving an email from Sony, i attempted the firmware upgrade which crashed my mac upon installing. Now my NEX5 wont even turn on. Can anyone help PLEASE?????

Many thanks in advance.

Alan

7 REPLIES 7
rogie.rodriguez
Visitor

Alan,

I have the same problem. I am a Mac user, yesterday when trying to install the latest firmaware form my NEX-3, it asked me to turn off th ecomputer, after this the camera does not turns on, also, the access lamp (next to the memory stick) remais red (lit). Check this if you have the same situation, please let me know if you solve this, I need my camera back!

Thanks!!

-Rogie

rogie.rodriguez
Visitor

Hi,

This guy posted this a few months ago:

Gaijin Photographer  Pro User  says:

Don't know if this is actually a solution, but have narrowed down the problem to the following:
When uploading firmware version 3 to the NEX 5 from a Mac OS, some people have experienced having their computer lock up and instruct them to do a hard shut down and re-boot (during the firmware uploading process mind you) ...not good. I had this happen to me through about 5 tries. The camera was unusable at that point - no response.
Specifically, the first time you try it, the computer will allow you to hook the camera up and go through initial set up of the firmware upload process, but once it gets to "Run," the computer locks up.
I disconnected the USB cable and noticed that the red light inside the battery compartment was on, meaning that the camera was most likely still in the "run" part of the command cycle. After researching online and settling on calling Sony (I am in Tokyo) in the morning, I decided to try to download the firmware from a different site. That was the solution to my problem. I had downloaded it from Sony e support. (Do not do this!) I noticed after several downloads that the size of the file was around 6MB. I finally went to Sony Europe and downloaded their version which was about 56MB. The site is: support.sony-europe.com/dime/downloads/downloads.aspx?sit... After downloading, I reconnected the camera, the computer thankfully recognized it, and I ran the "run" command. After I uploaded it to the NEX 5, I disconnected the USB cable, turned the camera off, took out the battery, replaced it and turned the camera on (all as instructed). Voila! This was the only time something like this has ever happened to me and for about one hour, it sucked. All I can recommend is keep the battery in the camera, and keep trying different sites for a workable version on a Mac. The Sony Europe support site worked for me.

I just did it and it works!!!!

Good Luck!

Rogie

alankwchung
Visitor

Hi Rogie,

Many thanks for your response. I have actually sent the camera back to Sony so will have to wait for their analysis. Maybe i shouldnt have been so hasty to send it back as i'm sure your suggestion would have solved the problem.

I really do appreciate your post.

Alan

carlyo
Visitor

Hi all,

I've never replied to these forums but feel I need to now as this happened to me to yesterday!!   Not happy as now my camera won't even turn on. I tried to do all this on my Mac 10.6.7. Called sony and they said to send it in for repair. I've only had it 4 months so really not impressed at all.

Carly

roedwar82
Visitor

I have just tried to upgrade my Sony NEX-3 camera to software, version3, from version 1 under WINDOWS 7.

Everything seemed to work fine until the actual upgrade stage when it terminated sayoing that there was an error. I was then instructed to remove the battery and, effectively, try again, which I di. The upgrade went through all the stages before the upgrade in a matter os a second or two then started to do the upgrade.

This also failed.

I have just tried again on another computer but thgis time after the download, the computer fails to now recognise the camera when it is connected!!!

I will try again but I feel that the solution is going to be to return it to Sony for repair...I HAVE ONLY HAD THE CAMERA FOR JUST OVER " WEEKS!!!!!!

Message was edited by: roedwar82

profile.country.DK.title
clausjepsen
New

OK I started on my Imac, but no 64 bit support. So to my Macbook, but it was an illegal app. So to my Dell with Windows Vista and I followed everything, but it crashed as you guys have described.

I tried several times, no luck.

So I tried to download the firmware from the english site. Same size as from the Danish site. I powered up my Asus 9" travel machine with XP and used the english firmware and SUCCESSSSS.

I do not think it was the english firmware, but the old machine that did the trick.

Claus.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Claus - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Thanks for letting everyone know how you solved the problem. Hopefully, other users with a similar issue will see your solution in the future and it will be useful to them.

Simon