Join now - be part of our community!

SDXC download problem with Win XP

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mikejdempsey
Visitor

SDXC download problem with Win XP

I have recently bought a Cybeshot camera (DSC-TX20) and fitted it with a 64 GB SanDisk Ultra SDXC memory card. The camera works fine and I have lots of photos and videos from a recent trip. However, I cannot download the content to my laptop: neither through the USB cable nor by inseting the SD card into the built-in card-reader slot.

My laptop is a Toshiba Tecra M9 running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3. It has an SD Card slot but when I insert the card, the computer tells me it is not formatted. Sony indicate that this is incorrect, so not to format the card and lose the content.

The Sony "Tips and solutions" suggests that updating PlayMemories Home  to version 1.3.03 may solve the problem but it doesn't! Does anyone know  how to solve this problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mikejdempsey
Visitor

I have just found a partial solution to my own problem! Microsoft have an update for XP which allows exFAT to be read: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=19364

However, although I can now download photos and videos to my laptop using the USB cable  I still get the error message about the SDXC card not being formatted if I insert it in the card reader slot.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
mikejdempsey
Visitor

I have just found a partial solution to my own problem! Microsoft have an update for XP which allows exFAT to be read: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=19364

However, although I can now download photos and videos to my laptop using the USB cable  I still get the error message about the SDXC card not being formatted if I insert it in the card reader slot.

profile.country.cs_CZ.title
Borisja
Visitor

Hi! I think, its no prbl with WinXP but with card reader! You need a new card reader that can read new SDXC memory card. Old card readers dont read the new SDXC correctly and Win reports a bug and wants to go fomats the SDXC card. This problem with old card readers was describered on the net.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I would always suggest purchasing an external memory card reader in this kind of situation as they come in handy for other devices that you may have as well.

I cannot post links to specific stores here, however a search on Google for 'SDXC Reader' brings up a number of options for under £5 including postage.

Thanks,

Simon