Join now - be part of our community!

NEX-7 Silly question.

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
scon4061
Visitor

NEX-7 Silly question.

My NEX-7 won't auto shut down when I carry it around my neck because the proximity sensor next to the viewfinder keeps the camera on. So in order to preserve the already short battery life, I find myself turning the camera on and off all the time between shots. Hopefully a firmware update will fix this so I can select whether I want to wake the camera up by using the eye proximity sensor or by lightly pressing the shutter.

This is probably a well documented issue, but my silly question is; Will turning the camera on and off all the time have any detrimental effect. Having to restart and shut down so may times can't be a good thing. Not only that it's a complete pain.

Does anyone know of a work around this?

Regards

Steve.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi Steve, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I'm pretty sure the camera's been designed to be powered off when not in use. Even if you can deactivate that sensor you'll still be depleting the battery due to the AF hunting, as it's always-on by default.

I'd suggest you leave it on between shots if you prefer, as a short 'idle' period (say, 5 minutes) isn't going to drain the power excessively. However you should try to get into the habit of switching it off whenever you're not actively shooting.  

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mick2011
New

Hi Steve, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

I'm pretty sure the camera's been designed to be powered off when not in use. Even if you can deactivate that sensor you'll still be depleting the battery due to the AF hunting, as it's always-on by default.

I'd suggest you leave it on between shots if you prefer, as a short 'idle' period (say, 5 minutes) isn't going to drain the power excessively. However you should try to get into the habit of switching it off whenever you're not actively shooting.  

Cheers

Mick