Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
chpetzn
Explorer

I can't work out how to change the display settings for the Home screen and any apps started from it. Going to Settings > Display just changes the settings for the previously active input (Digital, HDMI1-4, etc.)

Has anyone managed to change this?

Also, selecting the Cinema Home preset for the Digital input results in much higher brightness than selecting identical settings for the HDMI inputs. Any reason this is happening?

I'm using a KD-43X8305C

Thanks,

Chris.

HairyFool

I would also have liked to be able to modify the Home screen. The whole point about a software based interface is it can be infinitely amended to suit user requirements.

Locking it down to show specific apps can only be attributed to Sony being paid to hold them on screen.

profile.country.GB.title
ianhug
Explorer

t noticed this morning that BBC Iplayer has appeared on the home screen and works. Was this on the last upgrade?

profile.country.GB.title
psp888

i can also confirm iPlayer is now available.  Hope youview and HDD recording isn't far behind.

andrewsoong

How come it's a default app that installs itself? I thought the whole point of Android was you could choose what you want to install. 

Weird.

cphoughton
Explorer

Not sure if poeple know this but if you hold the power off button down on the remote control the tv will reboot without having to reach for the electrical socket.

profile.country.GB.title
UnoBorg

BBC Iplayer popped up & noticed it doesn't play in HD like my sony blu-ray player....Bloody thing...

Bought a Himedia Q10 for Netflix & films ect, & that only plays netflix in SD....

Wish one thing would work ok ..... 

Sony KD49X8307C 49 Inch 4K Ultra HD

Bar--8

iPlayer is probably, in effect, a link to the BBC website. If you want the best picture quality you'll need to change options in the settings menu.

Nice its finally landed though, not so nice is the black border at the top since the player does not fit within the TV frame. Can't Sony get anything right anymore?

Rikachu
Explorer

Hi peeps.

Is anyone having trouble selecting and getting through to sub menus (picture, sound etc etc) from the action menu?

Everytime I select something I hear the confirmation chime, but the side menu doesn't appear.

I end up having to go through the home menu then settings to adjust stuff.

Didn't happen prior to the latest update either.

Issue occurs via HDMI inputs, don't use the aerial at all.

Thanks again.
marco_polo_12345
Explorer

Is anyone else having issues with Headphone to Subwoofer volume levels?

I've set the Headphone output to 'Subwoofer' setting, but every time I switch the TV on, it seems to be at a different volume!  One time it shoock the house to pieces, other times it doesn't seem to be working at all.  

It's rarely the same, which is a big hassle as my Cambridge Audio sub is built in behind my sofa.  Used to work perfectly with my old Sony TV so it's not the sub.