Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
psp888

think I've been lucky with my set, not had any major issues with Android TV.  No reboots, no lip sync issues, no long wait time on sat channel changing, sometimes a little slowdown on the actions menu, but thats it. (I'm using a youview box to watch TV)

Just wished HDD recording and youview will come soon, whole point I brought this TV.

NickCo1979

Aaarrrggghhhh!!! I'm sick to ***** death of this ***** TV and having to reboot the piece of ***** every 5 ***** minutes. 3rd ***** time today just to get voice to actually match up with the ***** video. How in the name of ***** did Sony think this was ready?

FIX THE ***** THING!!!!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

I noticed our support team has updated the timeline page: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/article/73499

Cheers

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
lebarry
Explorer

HDD recording was meant to be made available summer 2015 according to the enclosed literature that came with the tvs. Since when does October fall into summer time. Sony could well be accused of selling their products under false pretences.

HairyFool

Difficult to understand why the Blue ray HT system just unpacked from the loft and set up has a working iPlayer despite being so old yet the TV has not. Also had to drag out my Freesat box primarily to get a useable EPG. Similarly a HDD recorder so I can save programs.

Very poor standards Sony, not what I would expect.

djadrianc

Hmm interesting....

...thanks Nico

lesking70

Thanks for the update, I'm hoping for some kind of performance update as well, as my TV has become very slow, and requires a restart to speed the menus back up, I am also having a lot of issue when streaming video content from my nas drive, major stuttering with videos, and sometimes just locks up all together, but no problem streaming to my 5 year old Samsung, the longer these issues continue, the more I think why did I bother upgrading to a new TV? As this Sony x85c feels like a real downgrade! but I do want to thank you Nico! You are single handedly keep my faith in the Sony team, as I can see you are trying your best to keep us informed! So thank you for that.
davidgv1
Explorer

I too had lip sync issues, they were so bad it made the TV unwatchable.

i tried optical out and Hdmi, the cables cost £40.00 ea!

the Sony helpline advised that this was a new problem to them, and to do a factory reset. Needless to say, the problem was still horrendous.

after 7 days, the set went back to currys for a complete refund.

the staff advised that this was the first time that they had heard of this issue.

profile.country.GB.title
psp888

End of October for HDD recording function!! This is ridiculous, no doubts this will get pushed to November, by then Sony will be introducing their 2016 TV lineup and they probably abandon development on 2015 models, leaving us with a useless falsely advertised features dumb TV.

I might as well have waited till October to get this TV and it will be half the price, paying over the odds for a new TV with missing core functions!

First Sony TV, last Sony TV

NickCo1979

That was my first thought as well. Sony release TVs every 12 months but are going to take almost 6 months to finish off the 2015 model to how it was advertised. I've already lost £300 in that my model is now £300 less than it was 4 weeks ago, and Sony support refuse to refund me. If I want to recover my money I'll have to initiate a small claims court claim under the Sale of Goods act. 

I feel like I've been mugged, bent over and shafted by this company.

How can it take 6 months to write the code for HDD recording? I've delivered end to end Business Intelligence solutions for multi-billion pound clients in less time than that. Is the development team one person doing it in their spare time whilst on a computer science degree? I can only surmise it is as if it was my development team I'd be seriously questioning their abilities.

Total and utter garbage, and as you've said, last ever Sony anything.