Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
psp888

It's longer than 6 months, they had these TV's since January as they showed them off at CES, so 10 months to get HDD recording.  And when if it arrives it will prrobably be buggy as hell and will need another 10 updates to get it working correctly.

Why are they selling something thats clearly not ready for market, we are just testers for them.

I can see why Sony financials are down the pan, they keep release half backed products and infuriating their customers.  Why would anyone buy into their brand after experiencing such bad product support.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

In terms of BBC iPlayer, I was told that BBC has switched on the service in the Uk last weekend. So if you power cycle your TV, the BBC logo should appear in the featured apps list.

Cheers

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
profile.country.GB.title
psp888

Thanks, we noticed the BBC icon appear last week, but this is not really a huge issue as we can always just Google Cast iplayer/all4/itv player etc to the TV, dont really need the app.  Fix the real issues and give us the useful features that were advertised when buying the TV.

profile.country.en_GB.title
gamorga69
Explorer

Hi

This reply is in regards to the 75X940C.

It may have already been identified but there are a number of bugs still in the latest software update.

I have emailed support, but the reply was simply to send the TV to a service centre. There's nothing worng with the hardware. Can somebody please relay the info to the software team. Thanks.

Bugs:

Local dimming gets disabled occasionaly when exiting the Netflix app or changing HDMI inputs.

On game mode the local dimming setting is not the same as on other modes, low seems to be off, medium is like low and high is like medium. Is it suppose to be like this?

Within the sound configuration, the TV can't remember the setting for compressed digtal audio and reverts to standard after the TV is turned off. You have to go back to it each time you turn the TV on.

When in Netflix menus or other home menus, the local dimming is disabled, is this suppose to happen? It makes the picture look all light.

The incorrect icons are displayed for HDMI devices, surely a PS4 should have a controller and a Sky box should not have a CD with a question mark.

The AV button is unresponsive occasionaly to change inputs, you have to go into the home screen.

When selecting av inputs from the home screen, ocassionally the local dimming is disabled on the input selected.

The social feed does not work in the action menu (not as if I want it there any how.

HDMI digital audio sync is still not perfect but much better than the shipped software.

marco_polo_12345
Explorer

Mine seems to be running really slowly now, it's now taking up to 9 seconds to change channels? And there's a delay when using the remote, sometimes it it seems to ignore it altogether. I'm sure it's great if you want to watch Internetflicks, but all I want is a bog standard TV that works.

EPG is slower too, and still no channel swapping Reminder function. Disappointed so far, very sad I sold my old Sony, it was far superior.  I feel like I've been conned.

profile.country.GB.title
nickbaker66
Explorer

Why is there no option to switch to the HD version of a channel like on my old Panasonic tv e.g. when you change to itv it either changes to itv 1 hd or gives you the option?
Deanfeuillade

Any luck with pairing your glasses yet?

I have just tried 2 new sets and nothing!

Sony help desk just said return them as they must be faulty.

Deanfeuillade

How did you get on?

Im having the same issues with a 2 day old 50W809C and 2 new glasses!

andrewsoong

This is the reply I got from Sony support. In general their email support is the worst thing I've ever experienced.

But back on topic:

Dear Mr Powell

Thank you for contacting Sony support.

In regards to your ongoing issue, please find below our higher technical team reply:

This issue will be fixed in next software release (OTA5). Target date is Aug 17th.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yours sincerely,
Menna

I dunno who Mr Powell is (not me), I assume that means it's a copy and paste reply but hopefully August 17th is a firm date for a big update. This should apparently fix the 5.1 Android app issue but I'll believe it when I see it.

NickCo1979

Interesting story in The Australian:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/personal-technology/sonys-2015-4k-lineup-has-high-definition-so...

I particularly laughed my ass off at this bit:

"Currently these new Android OS TVs do not record programs; Sony says this will happen next month via a software update."

Replace "month" with "year" and you might be closer....