Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Deanfeuillade

I have now tried 8 pairs of 3D glasses with my new 2015 Bravia and not one will pair with the TV.

I called the Sony help desk who just repeated what was written in the guide that came with the glasses so that made no difference at all.

They suggested I reset the TV which also made no difference at all.

Today I visited my local Sony store who were surprised I was having this issue......until they tried to get EVERY SINGLE PAIR OF GLASSES they had in stock to pair and had no luck at all.

What the hell is going on. I have a 3D TV that can't be viewed in 3D!

Whilst I'm typing away here I'm on hold yet again with Sony customer support but I'm not holding my breath for a resolution.

davidgv1
Explorer

Take your TV back and ask for a full refund as I did.
Contact watchdog via the Internet and involve them, they maybe able to do something.

Regards

David

Sent from my iPad
beta_zed
New

Clearly any retailer continuing to sell these TV's are in breach of the Sale of Goods Act as the goods are not as described and not fit for purpose.

Hopefully everyone has been successful in getting a no fuss refund if desired, and one would hope the retailers are putting pressure on Sony. Here's more information on The Act in case it proves useful: http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/sale-of-goods-act

What a dreadful pity all of this is - I used to love Sony kit but am glad I went Panasonic in the end and having followed this thread I can't say I'll be in a rush to buy Sony in the future.
HairyFool

And where is the response from Sony?

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

If its of any use and i suspect not but for my 55x8509c i found some samsung 3d glasses and used them perfectly fine with the TV. It does not show on screen as connected/paired or anything but once you put the tv into 3d mode its all shown as expected...

Deanfeuillade

Does anybody from Sony actually bother to comment on any posts?

NickCo1979

It seems the only person from Sony who comments is the unfortunate Nico who is left trying to placate us all whilst seemingly having minimal access to the insiders at Sony who actually know what the state of play is.

It's a shame as he's been as helpful as he can be but doesn't have the info to actually assist in working out if this will ever be sorted 😞 

Dtay91
Explorer

I've given up. And swapped it for a Samsung. The Lag and Delays were incredible
alhansf27
Explorer

Hello fellow readers - I'm a new owner of a Sony KD-43X8305C, impressed with the hardware and loving the Android TV UX... but hoping that the system stability improves in future updates.

Apologies if this has already been covered - but are WiFi issues common?

My TV can't seem to see any 5GHz wifi at all, only showing 2.4Ghz N bands. Streaming HD isn't bad considering, but it sometimes buffers. The wifi connection sometimes resets, although it's difficult to debug this as my other network is 5Ghz only.

Hope the issues (and the others that are already known) are resolved soon.

profile.country.GB.title
chrcook50
Explorer

So, I mentioned the constant resets to Sony support yesterday (when they finally phoned me back about the failure to update issue from the previous week, which I'd resolved) and they suggested a full factory reset.

After 4 restarts in 10 minutes, I decided to give it a go today. Wish I hadn't. An hour later and countless restarts, I haven't even been able to log back into Google without a reset yet.

It now appears to be stuck on 'Andoid is upgrading, Optimising app 5 of 13'. Each restart the number of apps reduces, it started with over 100.

I really hope next weeks update fixes some of the stability issues. She who must be obeyed is starting to get very annoyed with this broken TV I spent so much money on.

I'm going to have to start looking at alternatives again and see if Curry's will give me any money back. I doubt it though as I've had it for four weeks now.

It was much better on the previous firmware. Please Sony, stop trying to add new features (like playstation now, interesting though it sounds) and just fix the problems....