Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
alellio01

In regards to Currys.

Currys are well aware of issues with the new android tv's, if you wipe out, let me know.

The Sony staff on here, do there best, but in truth they are powerless, and know one else within Sony even bothers to read these boards. 

like it or not, either live with it or return it or ask your retailer for some compensation and accept the TV. You still get to keep your 5 year warrenty.

marco_polo_12345
Explorer

Niko, are Sony actually working on any fixes? Or am I better off rejecting this and getting a Samsung?

The Mrs is getting even more frustrated than me!!!
profile.country.GB.title
chrcook50
Explorer

Well then.....

Still stuck in a loop trying to reset to factory, and the wife has enacted her veto.

Phoned Currys and they're going to come pick it up and give me a full refund.

It's a shame, because the hardware is great, best picture I've seen, but the software really doesn't feel ready. Android TV has such promise and I'm sure in 6-12 months time it will all be great, but we need a TV was can watch.

So I'm now looking around at other options. Hopefully Firefox OS, Web OS or whatever Samsung use these days will be more stable.

Best of luck to anyone still persevering.

davidgv1
Explorer

Yes well done,

I have a Samsung, fantastic, easy to set up great picture

Sent from my iPad
lebarry
Explorer

It doesn't matter If you had the TV for over a month, if you persevered with the TV for that period of time in the hope that the updates fixed the issues and then discovered these updates where having little effect then you are quiet entitled to have your money refunded or have it exchanged for another model. I am in the same predicament as you with a just over a month old 43W809C which has the HDD recording feature disabled and was meant to be enabled with a software update scheduled for Summer 2015, Sony now has changed this to late October 2015 nearly six months after the TV was purchased. I have informed the retailer that I purchased the TV from about this matter and they assured me that they will give me a full refund or exchange for another brand after they carry out enquiries.

I took my Sony KDL43-W755CBU back to Currys and swapped it for a Samsung UE40-JU6445 which is basically the same model as the UE40-JU6400 but with a couple extra features. Currently sitting here watching tv. I press the remote and it responds, decent picture and sound. Only issues do far is lip syncing sometimes goes out, and its not yet got BBC iPlayer, ITVPlayer, and Demand 5 but last year's models had the same issues and these got sorted with Firmware updates
helalmiah
Explorer

I can confirm I am experiencing problems (2) Hdd recording not working and (4) Sound lag performance. Regarding (4) they asked me to reset to factory but problem reoccurs after being on standby. Even when it's been unplugged and plugged back in there is still a slight lip sync issue when playing through AV Receiver.

marco_polo_12345
Explorer

No picture again today?

Wouldn't turn off for ages, then cycles through the Sony / Dancing Dots / Android sequence?

What's wrong with these TV's?

andrewsoong

Exactly the same issue with me this morning.

NickCo1979

I've had to resort to buying a power socket timer. Have it set to turn off at 3am and on at 4am. Added to the list of crazy you have to buy / do to even try to make these units usable. Problem then is it takes ages to turn on in the morning and you end up with the massive lag whilst the boot up completes.

Sony. FIX IT. FIX these TVs that you have sold without most of the advertised features. FIX these TVs that you have sold with performance that makes a Spectrum ZX 128K look like a super computer. FIX these TVs that crash or require a reboot on a bi-hourly basis.

FIX IT!!!!!!!

And whilst you're at it why not try communicating with your outsourced support centres that doing a factory reset twice a day on a TV that takes 2 hours to set up each time is a pretty sh*t method of pointless support.

-----  Edited by Fran_M

-----  profanity