Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
nickbaker66
Explorer

How did you go into the settings and hide everything dude
Sdroid

Open discover and scroll down and you'll see it.
It didn't work fully,tvdotaction is still in the top of apps who uses most cpu,hovering right now between 35-50%
profile.country.GB.title
nickbaker66
Explorer

When I go into settings then apps it won't let me open it it just says clear cache etc
Sdroid

Press discover button and scroll down
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Has anybody else got silly reply from Sony about the things they have asked? I was asking if Sony knew that there was an issue where the ARC was not outputting 5.1, but 2.0 sound, with TV and Netflix. I sent them an email (before finding this forum) and they sent me this.....

"Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for contacting Sony regarding your KDL-50W805C, we are sorry to learn that you are unable to get 5.1 Dolby digital while watching Netflix.

In regards to your enquiry, please note that there are audio settings inside the Netflix application itself that has to be set to Dolby digital not PCM and also, adjust the sound settings of the TV as explained on the following link:

http://helpguide.sony.net/tv/caep1/v1/en/contents/TP0000773087.html

Please provide us with the serial number for registration on the case.

Should you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this email."

I am truly blown away by this! Pass the buck or what. I know Netflix has settings, but it also shows when 5.1 for a film is available. None of that shows because the TV cant do it. I have (regrettably) KDL-50W805C. Before that, I had the KDL-50W829 and that did just fine with 5.1 using ARC. The only reason I have the KDL-50W805C is because Argos messed up. I took the KDL-50W829 back because of dead pixels and ordered a replacement (seeing as they still sold it, as advertised right now). When the staff went and got it, I immediately explained that there was a mistake and that the TV they had brought out to me was the wrong one! They checked the item number (205/3897) and said that it was the right one, they even went and got another one out of stock to confirm! I showed them the website, and proved that the model advertised did not match the model they had in stock.... as a mater of fact, Argos dont even sell the Sony KDL-50W805C! I had no choice but to take the TV because the other one was broken! Thats when I found out that there are major issues with 1) the hardware and 2) the Android software running on the Sony KDL-50W805C model. Hence how and why I found the forum dedicated to flagging up all the issues

wills_b

The lack of 5.1 via ARC is definitely a known issue on these forums. 5.1 works via optical so the issue isn't with Netflix.

Not surprised that you got a ridiculous reply. The long suffering Nico is your best bet to get a sensible answer, but seems like tech support don't help him out much either.

Would be nice if they could confirm this is a known issue that they are working on, would put a lot of minds at rest.

Sent from my iPhone
Sdroid

5.1 via arc works but only with the built in video app.
Are you saying that you are getting 5.1 in netflix with optical?

Sorry, but I say bullsh** about this! Nomatter how, I can only choose stereo as sound/output in the dedicated Netflix app in the tv. I've tried with ARC, Optical (after removing the HDMI from ARC to another port) and TV speakers only - but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

No way I can get optical to work 5.1. I just get 2.0 option with that too. All HDMI cables are the right spec, and I use a Sony BDVE3100 as surround sound (which worked perfectly with the KDL-50W829 via ARC or optical producing 5.1). The built in TV Netflix app just does not want to play ball, it shows all films and TV shows are 2.0 channel. I'm yet to connect the PS4, but im not holding my breath that its going to give me 5.1 without doing optical out of PS4 to optical in DVB.

I've tried at home with BDV-N9100 and at work with STR-DN1060 - no luck with any of it. I think maybe people are using the built-in app in their reciever instead? All tested with brand new optical and HDMI 1.4b cables