Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Using just the blu-ray player, Netflix works 5.1 just fine, shows all the films and TV show that support 5.1. Just the TV app on the Android sets doesent. Many would just say, use the Player then, but why should I. Why cant we just switch to speakers, press the dedicated Netflix button and enjoy a film in 5.1 from the get go!?

is there a seperate Netflix app that can be added to the TV set by any chance?

wills_b

Hmmm.

Previously 5.1 was working on the optical output. I haven't been bothered with that, I'm waiting for ARC. Perhaps been disabled with one of the software updates?

If it's this many people it's probably safe to assume that it's not a simple "turn it on in Netflix" issue and is another thing we can add to the list.

Sent from my iPhone

I really dont care if Netflix has surround or not, I use it maybe 1-2 times a month for a comedy or doc - but it really annoys me, that PLEX is affected to, cause I have tons of movies on my NAS (I have digitalized my entire movie cataloge since the VHS ages) and no surround for ex. Aliens or any other movie for that sake, is pretty tame... 😞

profile.country.en_GB.title
petsmart

so just for clarity incase any of support does happen to glance this it is 5.1 sound for all in built apps for the TV.

I also utilize plex a lot and this is important to not just pin point the issue directly to netflix if it is the case.

lets hope this weeks update brings miracles.

wills_b

I think it's irrelevant to talk about this app or that app, the fact is if the tv supports ARC, then 5.1 over ARC can be assumed, if it's not there it's going to be inconveniencing people and it needs to be sorted.

Sent from my iPhone
wills_b

And not just pin point the problem to apps, this is a whole ARC (and by the sounds of it optical now as well) issue.

Sent from my iPhone

I've tested Netflix, PLEX, VLC and traditional tv-signal - all in stereo/2.0 (using HDMI/ARC). So, at the moment.. yes 😕

Don't know if its the same with PlayStation connected to the tv through HDMI - havent tested since the last update

blytant
Explorer

Hi,

I don't receive any 5.1 through the ARC port myself.

No 5.1 through the Netflix App either... But I don't receive using my PC as well.

I've had to plug my PS4 into the AMP (STR-520).

Ideally I would prefer to plug all my devices to the TV and let audio through the ARC port.

I've reported the issues to Sony Nordic, which will take the matter further to higher court.

I work at a Sony store in Denmark, so I have direct access to the right people - not just customer service :wink:

Sdroid

As I already wrote, both dolby digital and dts works over arc using the sonys built in video app.
They have said that a fw update will fix netflix