Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
wills_b

Interestingly whilst Netflix used to show 5.1 as an option, it now doesn't, so perhaps there is something on the Netflix side if ARC 5.1 is working for TV and other apps.

Haven't had a chance to update yet, doing it now, will let you know if I find anything of interest but my hopes aren't high.

Out of curiosity people saying they can get 5.1 on TV channels, what channels broadcast in 5.1?

Also another interesting observation - the iPlayer app came online a while back without updating, and now bbc news bbc sport and playstation now have come online without updating, so a lot of stuff seems baked into the tv but waiting to be updated server side.

I live in Denmark.. alot of our HD channels broadcast in 5.1

I'll test 5.1 in apps tomorrow..
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

I get 5.1 using Sky HD channels. So in the sky settings - sound, I have digital audio output - HDMI set to dolby d.
Then the HDMI ARC out of Tv to BDV player.
I'm not. To sure about what or if freeview channels do 5.1. I'm sure there is some! But I don't have an aerial connected to my TV to find out I'm afraid.
Sdroid

When I looked around a bit in the system (don't remember witch app I was using) I saw a lot of apps that was labeled "inactive"
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

It's worth noting though with Sky HD channels, they aren't always surround sound. So the BDV player will try and convert 2 channel into virtual surround. But the point is for now, 5.1 via ARC on live broadcast is working.... For now lol
NickCo1979

the changelog is interesting...

Adds support for internet browser - new functionality

Adds support for play memories online - new functionality

Adds support for Playstation Now - new functionality

Improves Wifi Connection - fixes

I guess I'm left to think that there's no stability of performance updates despite the pleadings on here.

Feedback for Sony - if you've improved the performance or stability it's worth stating that.

If you've not improved the performance or stability, I, personally, don't care about any of the features above. Please fix the performance and stability of the TV before adding extra things to go wrong.

Ta.

kelchashock
Explorer

With the latest update menus are more responsive. Amazon video streaming is also much better, no more stuttering Just hoping it doesnt restart anymore. Also hoping the sound doesnt keep cutting out like before.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi all,

Downloading my update now so hopefully will see the same improvements as you all 😉

@NickCo1979 you think the TV would be more responsive and 5.1 working without any improvements? 

Don't get stuck on the details of the support website and enjoy as per my message (not that clueless after all) the stability improvements. :tongue:

I now checking when the next update is planned. My gut feeling says it might be mid/August or something.

So keep the feedback coming in the meantime so we can make sure our engineers have a total view & I will do the same from my side and keep you informed when more info is available.

Cheers

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Hi Nico, please could I have a link to the support website that has the changelog on it! Just so I have a bookmark I can go to and check every now and then myself. 

There is def some improvements to the UI, aswell as added fetures like PS now, although PS now isnt fully working. But I dont want to get hung up on the apps as such, more the notion of weather or not the hardware is working as it should.

Thanks

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi,

Change log is added on the page where you can download the new firmware from your model page. So go to support, select your model, the click on latest firmware and then next page should have the change log. However the log doesnt contain full list but only major changes. Also take into account it usually takes longer to update the website with the correct info versus the auto doenload on your tv.

Cheers
Nico
Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)