Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Chocohoops
Explorer

Just to add insult to injury, here's what I found on the Sony Website

https://www.sony.co.uk/promo/4k-tv?cpint=promo_UK_TV_dualshock_latestnews

And the offer is only available to those who purchase one of these TV's between 15th July -31 August 2015.

Raging

profile.country.GB.title
residentrasman
Explorer

Same deal, I had to change the audio out from HDMI to Optical (even though I'm not using optical) and force PCM for the audio to sync up properly. Leaving everything as it was with my old Bravia just leaves me with poor sync on the XMB, games and films.

profile.country.GB.title
residentrasman
Explorer

Same problem here 😞 Also, on non HD channels, I find that I can hear a 'background fuzz' in the audio stream which is driving me crazy

profile.country.nl_NL.title
tcviper
Explorer

Hmmm im watching Digital TV (Ziggo ,Netherlands) with dolby sound (HDMI ARC to Sony STR-DN1060 receiver) now all the time and i dont hear that, the only thing i still notice is that it becomes slower if it has gone in standby a few times.

And ofc 5.1 sound still missing for apps like netflix and plex 😞

Davidrfarr
Explorer

First timer and any help gratefully received. 43W755C updated its firmware over WiFi when bought but will not update over WiFi or manually via USB stick to v2287. Over WiFi (and also Ethernet cable) downloads into the high 80s % and then get error code 2123 and no update. Can download the update onto my PC unzip to USB but file downloads to 89% and then TV reboots but not updated. Any ideas on getting round this?

profile.country.GB.title
sammyh2506
Explorer

I had an almost exact copy of your situation with my new Sony TV, not same model. I tried everything to get the software to update but each time the TV would reboot but never update.

I had it replaced and all is well. I suspect that the path you'll need to take.

Good luck.
profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

Only had my set about 10 days but seriously considering taking it back to my local Currys and swapping out for something else.

My first annoyance was the EPG not populating properly, and not being able to "marker" a programme to view at a later date.

After contacting Sony support I received an email denying all knowledge of other complaints about this, (which is obviously untrue as a very quick search on this forum shows other people have suffered), and asking me to send them photos of the problem, which I did.

They then responded, telling me that an update was due that day and "should" sort out the problem. Carry out download and report. Well guess what? The update didn't sort it.

They have now said to escalate the problem they want me to take more photos!! New photos are not going to show anything different to the ones that I sent them before.

I too have suffered the lip sync problems. Really badly. Switching to "guide" and then back to the programme again sorts it for a short while, but you shouldn't have to do this!

And possibly the final straw? The in-laws came over last night and keen to show them my new Sony 4k TV I thought I'd show them how brilliant 4k looked. Went to turn the TV on and none of the HDMI inputs were recognised. Had to switch off at the mains and leave for a few minutes and then switch on again. They weren't impressed. Nor am I to be honest.

This is my first venture into Sony TV's, having had Samsung and Panasonic sets before, and I am feeling a little bit frustrated to say the least. I didn't have problem with any of my previous sets and am inclined to jump ship now rather than wait any longer and find I am lumbered with a TV that doesn't work properly.

I spent a lot of money (for me) buying into the Sony brand...new TV, soundbar and top of the range Blu ray player, hoping that everything would work together. The soundbar and BD player are fine. But this telly is not so good.

profile.country.GB.title
Dazrise3

Got the same issue with mine. Now getting more Icons on home screen but no update, no Netflix. Disappointed 😞
strober25
Explorer

Hi all

Having put up with the issues associated with my Sony Android TV since the beginning of June, I have now thrown in the towel and returned it to my supplier!! I exchanged it for a Samsung model which appears to work as expected. I was very disappointed to return this TV as it still has great potential as a Smart TV and also the picture quality and hardware quality is in keeping with the premium Sony brand. I have noted the issues with lip synch and HDMI problems, but haven't experienced these problems myself, so I guess it depends how you use the TV and what additional equipment you have connected to it. No HDD recording until October was a disappointment and the lack of catch up TV services was frustrating, but neither was a killer issue, I would have waited for them.

The main reason I returned the TV for replacement, was that the satellite program editing function did not work properly and this was a key requirement for me in selecting this model. The editing function was at best very poor and usually editing programmes resulted in crashing to the previous menu, or worse, just power recycling on its own. Having tried to communicate this problem to Sony Support in a number of phone calls and emails, each reply from Sony stated the obvious power cycle/factory reset and they requested more and more detail. I was therefore dumbfounded when Sony Support suggested they could not read all of the information supplied and asked me to answer the same questions again! I would give Sony a 0 out of 10 for their support team and I pity those who will need to ask for their help in fixing problems with their Sony Android products. Had Sony Support given the slightest indication that this problem existed or would be fixed, then I would have been prepared to wait for the other services to arrive. Alas the last reply from Sony Support was really unacceptable and accordingly I will avoid Sony products in the future. This will be my last post on this forum as I no longer own a Sony Android TV.

Good luck if you are still experiencing problems with your Sony Android TV, you will need it, particularly if you have to contact Sony Support for help. This of course doesn't apply to Nico who has been the only sensible person from Sony to comment on these issues and  the comments from all other contributors to this forum have been really welcomed. Many Thanks.

PracticallyGeek
Explorer

I actually got my W755c 42inch as a replacement for a Samsung 48inch TV which had one problem and that was it wouldn't connect to Netflix. Thought I'd read through this thread as these TVs are still new and there's no reviews or customer reviews I can see on the net so far . .
Got my Sony from Argos were the Samsung went back and I saw Android Bravia TV which caught my eye being a big Android fan and our last TV before the Samsung was actually a 32inch Bravia W706B which was great . .

With this W755c I really haven't had any major issues to put me in a position to take it back, correct me if I'm wrong but the major problems people have reported seem to be with the much higher end models like the 4K ones? Anyway apart from my set taking around 15-20 secs to boot and both updates taking around 20-30 mins to install . . Download seemed fast but installation was a lengthy process . .these are the only things I've experienced. Did worry about sound at one point being distorted slightly when volume was turned lower then 5 but seemed after setting the volume to dolby in the Sky settings and TV it's gone . . .

Kinda getting worried really that my set may start playing up, like people have said the overall style and finish of these sets can't be touched by other companies and the picture quality I am getting is the best I've experienced from a full HD set.