Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
Nibor99

My new Sony KD43X8309CBU has a control for screen resloution.

Can anyone explain how it is supposed to affect the picture? I imagine that it should produce a sharper image but how does it do it - many default settings are really quite low - whereas you might have thought higher settings  whould be more commonplace? - Is a setting of 50 "neutral"?

Also in my search for optimum settings for regular viewing I had not consideed the Cinema modes until I found this webpage's suggestion:-

https://www.avforums.com/pages/pictureperfect-supporters/#sony

I had not really considered this mode as its name suggested it was for film viewing, something I rarely do!! - But actually the setting does seem to produce a respectable picture and  switching the ambient light setting on helps with reducing the brightness at night.

I really think it would help if Sony produced a short guide / tips as to how to get the best from their TVs together with some explanation as to how the settings are designed to affect picture qualities. 

A "settings" record form would also be a help in reaching the optimum set up.

I produced my own but for some reason I find that I cannot attach and upload it.

Nibor99

My new Sony KD43X8309CBU has a control for screen resloution.

Can anyone explain how it is supposed to affect the picture? I imagine that it should produce a sharper image but how does it do it - many default settings are really quite low - whereas you might have thought higher settings  whould be more commonplace? - Is a setting of 50 "neutral"?

Also in my search for optimum settings for regular viewing I had not consideed the Cinema modes until I found this webpage's suggestion:-

https://www.avforums.com/pages/pictureperfect-supporters/#sony

I had not really considered this mode as its name suggested it was for film viewing, something I rarely do!! - But actually the setting does seem to produce a respectable picture and  switching the ambient light setting on helps with reducing the brightness at night.

I really think it would help if Sony produced a short guide / tips as to how to get the best from their TVs together with some explanation as to how the settings are designed to affect picture qualities.

A "settings" record form would also be a help in reaching the optimum set up.

andrewsoong

Does anyone know if there's any truth in this:

In regards to your ongoing issue, please find below our higher technical team reply:

This issue will be fixed in next software release (OTA5). Target date is Aug 17th.

Because I still have various niggly issues (and a couple major ones like no 5.1 on Plex through optical) but I keep getting tempted to not return it with stuff like this from Sony support.

Someone also said they got 5.1 working using Kodi but I've given that a go but still no luck - What setting did you need to change for it to work?

Also the featured apps section is full of stuff I'll never use - Is there no way to remove stuff you don't need? It's basically permanent advertising.

For example why is Opera now on my TV even though I don't want it?!

andrewsoong

Also I'm having issues using it as a Chromecast. It appears twice for some reason and when casting using certain apps what's being casted plays fine but the TV audio also plays. Anyone else get that?

motty79
Explorer

I've not had any real issues with casting since the app got updated so make sure you have the latest casting receiver app installed. I do get lip sync issues with the Sony sound bar connected but I get those issues watching anything on the TV. It's impossible to get anything in sync with this stupid tv
profile.country.GB.title
dambus
Explorer

5.1 will not work over optical connection. Suitable receiver with reverse channel hdmi is required. 

optical is a 2 channel connection usually matrixed  to 5.1 in the receiver by dolby pro logic or equivalent. 

andrewsoong

5.1 over optical is possible and does work using the built-in Video app. 

profile.country.GB.title
dambus
Explorer

Just to be absolutely clear. To slink does not have sufficient bandwidth to carry uncompressed pcm 5.1. it will carry two channels of uncompressed lossless PCM audio or compressed 5.1/7.1 surround sound such as Dolby Digital Plus or DTS-HD High Resolution Audio. Unlike HDMI, TOSLINK does not have the bandwidth to carry the lossless versions of Dolby TrueHDDTS-HD Master Audio andLPCM.

jack32467

5.1 Dolby digital is of course possible and in fact the standard for digital audio before HDMI was introduced - what is the point of posting and giving out false information?

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/hdmi-vs-optical-which-digital-audio-connection-to-use/

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/TOSLINK

cozzykim

In fact, your two links confirm exactly what dambus says, toslink will not carry uncompressed 5.1