Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

5.1 is still obviously such a sore issue here on this forum, be it with ARC or Optical. Wish SONY would just come out and admit it for 1, and 2, do something about it! They just wont accept there are huge flaws in their TV`s.... its a joke! I do have the PS4 working with 5.1 via ARC, but oddly, some broadcast HD TV shows that say they are 5.1 only play in stereo through all speakers. If I stay or flip channels, for a different show in 5.1, sometimes it plays in DD. At times I think its my subscription provider (SKY) claiming its DD, but then I never had this issue with the other SONY TV.... it always played 5.1 on a 5.1 channel. 

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

My new issue that has only just  randomly started, is screen tear and judder. Something I have only ever seen in PC gaming. It started on Wednesday. In a fast scene or quick motion i get a little judder, or horizontal tear. A car for example driving, the roof may suddenly for a split second be behind or in front of the bottom half of the rest of the car. The same when a person moves their head, be it facial features stay behind while the jaw has turned or the other way round. Iv not messed with any settings, its just started happening! 

profile.country.GB.title
MartiB47
Explorer

I have the 49x8309c and only use the optical output for my audio. Freeview HD outputs as Dolby Digital 5.1 when broadcast OK and if I set my SKY HD box to output Dolby on HDMI which is connected to HDMI 1 on the TV, DD 5.1 is passed through OK. However if I use the Amazon app, I can only get stereo PCM and can see no way of changing any appropriate setings for this app. I also have an Amazon Fire TV box connected diectly with HDMI to my AV receiver and this passes DD+ with no problem. My understanding is that the TV should convert / transcode DD+ to DD and output this on the optical.

Has anyone else managed to get 5.1 from the Amazon app, if so any suggestions would be appeciated.

andrewsoong

The next update later this month will apparently add 5.1 to Netflix and certain other third party apps. So hopefully that includes Amazon.
MikeLothian

Do you have a source for that? I've not heard anything offical
wills_b

Ye gods please let it be true.

Sick of paying for an inferior service.
profile.country.GB.title
ZombieFried777

Here are some of the features coming this year. I'm more looking forward to the october updates, bringing twin tuner and usb HDD recording, This is for my tv the KDL-50W805C, but i would think it's for all the 2015 android TV's.

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/content/cnt-hn/prd-tvhc/more-features-coming-to-your-android-tv-soo...

profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

Yes, if you have a link to that info @andrewsoong that would be amazing!

lebarry
Explorer
andrewsoong

It was an email reply from Sony support.

"This issue will be fixed in next software release (OTA5). Target date is Aug 17th."