Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
djadrianc

Sounds like it might be android 5.1.1 as Netflix apparently supports 5.1 in
the new app which is for Lollipop 5.1.1
AnisKhan

5.1 coming...
Thank the Lord
profile.country.GB.title
theshamelessmanc

I wouldn't get your hopes up to high, just yet. There isn't anything solid to confirm that!  

profile.country.en_GB.title
gamorga69
Explorer

For my X94C, I hope the next update addresses these issues, or if somebody can at least recognise the following (I find it crazy there is no way to submit bugs to Sony):

Local dimming not functioning with the Amazon app. Looks awful in a dark room.

Also what is up with the Game mode scene, you need to turn local dimming to high for it to have any effect and trying to get live colour to work just gives over the top saturated colours.

Plus why doesn't clear audio work for cinema sound with a PS4 and is fine with everything else connected.

Also the AV icons need to be sorted, the wrong ones are still displayed...

Finally the regular remote gives up working while in the action menu and you sometimes have to use the bluetooth one.

cozzykim

I'm back.

After returning a KD49X8309 which suffered a lot of the problems mentioned earlier in the thread, even though it was fully updated to the latest firmware.

I thought it might be interesting that I've now bought a KD55X8509, which appears to work much better for some reason.

The 55" is a much better experience for many reasons, not least the bigger and more immersive picture.

It comes with the One Flick remote, a great improvement over having to use the standard remote IMHO.

I haven't had any problems with the sluggish interface that I did with the identical 49" version.

The play store is getting populated with more apps, casting is working fine, (OK, I don't use 5.1 audio, just an HT-XT1 sound base).

As I'm getting to know my way around the OS and TV, I'm finding that it really does tie together the media in the house, I can play the music from a Philips MCi500h Streamium via the music app over the HT-XT1 in another room, videos from uPnP laptops, photos from phones and tablets etc.

A major benefit of having the integrated smart android OS over an external android box is the access to HD content on Netflix and Youtube by default, not easily achieved with an external box due to DRM issues anmd IMHO vital with a high res display of this quality.

This one isn't going back, looking forward to future updates

One thing, I applied for the free PS4 Dual Shock controller and sent off an image of my invoice from John Lewis over a week ago.

I haven't had any email confirmation or any other means of knowing whether the promo application has been received or accepted.

I tried to go through the process again, and was notified on the web page that an application had already been entered for this serial number.

So, how do I find out what's the progress on my PS4 controller?

profile.country.en_GB.title
orangeyred

I had an e-mail confirmation within a week and received it after 5 days.  I also bought mine from John Lewis.  It may be worth chasing them, the number is: 0207 365 2810

cozzykim

Thanks, I'll call them

Smithee
Explorer

Just got the x85c and the 3D is terrible  - getting it to go into 3D mode in YouTube seems random and after coming out of viewing 3D the whole TV grinds to a halt with responce from the remote control taking over 5 seconds and some serious lag in the interface.

I have to turn it and and off at the mains to get it back to life.

Is the 3D system a known bug? Its also kind of dissapointing that it does not convert 2D to 3D as richer sounds listed the capability on their site.

I do find the whole operating system grinding to a halt rather worrying - is it just me?

Andy

cozzykim

"I do find the whole operating system grinding to a halt rather worrying - is it just me?"

Obviously not, there are similar issues mentioned throughout the thread.

I find it interesting that I'm not getting the same issues, or at least nothing like as bad, now that I swapped my 49X8309 for an (AFAIK) identical 55X8509, I assume the hardware is the same apart from the panel size, and both sets were running the most recent firmware.

Strange???

elraouk

Am getting really annoyed with Plex on my X83C TV, it grinds to halt with so many files saying either the network or my server aren't powerful enough. 

As I have said on previous posts, my network tests at 800+ Mbps, so 8x as quick as the 100Mbps NIC in the TV and my server rarely breaks a sweat (i7 4790K, so shows ~10% CPU usage when doing a 1080p transcode).  It has to be the TV, the sluggish OS points to an underpowered processor (or bad code...) which may well be the source of my problems as well.

Some files play fine.  Haven't had time to work out if the files that play OK are files that the TV can play without transcoding, or files that need transcoding (my assumption from the error message is that it is files needing transcoding that have issues).

PLEX via Andoid was a key selling point for this TV, I was going to buy a Samsung as they have there own app and wish I had (am past 30 days and Sony won't take the TV back).  Am hanging on to the hope that the next firmware, with 5.1 audio, will mean that more files will play without transcoding but until then I've just ordered a Pi2 to run plex as the TV is just not up to it.

Does anyone have a PLEX setup using the android app that actually works on these TVs and will playback any type of file you throw at it?