Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373

I have PLEX on mine too, some works fine - other it cant even start.
normally big remux works flawless, but a smaller file (movies under 5GB) it
simply cant play. It wont even buff the first seconds o.O
andrewsoong

Mine used to be flawless until the last update. I updated tv and PC at the same time though so I'm not sure which broke it.

Plex plays most files fine but gives an error on some. Either an error saying it can't find the server (even though I'm obviously browsing the server) or an error saying my PC isn't powerful enough. It definitely is, as is my network.

Luckily I got the TV from Amazon so they'll accept it back as faulty but I'm waiting for that update next week to see how it goes.
profile.country.GB.title
mcqweb
Explorer

I'm in exactly the same boat elraouk.

I've taken to using my Apple TV in mirroring for Plex but it's clearly less convenient than it just working on the TV. I can't remember if I tried casting directly to the TV and if that was any better.

Like you I know the server is up to it but get stuttering playback and messages on screen from time to time. Other times it plays back fine and if I drop the quality and force transcoding it's OK, but I don't want to drop the quality on my nice new big screen (65")

elraouk

So it's not just me.

Am tempted to try the hard line with Sony (bought direct from them about 2 months ago, but TV was in a box for the entire 30 day return period due to building work that overran) that the TV is not fit for purpose and there attempts at fixing it have failed after all the most recent updates.  I still have the 49" version in its box, while we wait for new carpets.

£1k TV can't playback something a £30 mini computer with free software can.  Ridiculous.

Any idea what the CPU power is in these TVs?  I did see the Samsungs (JU7000 is the rough equivalent I think) have a quad core CPU.

It's a quad-core in Sony's Android TVs, but at what speed i dunno
andrewsoong

Whatever it is it's more than enough for Plex. This is a software issue for sure.
elraouk

Hopefully if it is just software then they will get it right eventually.  Am hoping the 5.1 audio is causing the issues, as I did notice the other day that the file it was struggling with had 5.1 audio (although it plays others with 5.1 audio ok...).

andrewsoong

I just disabled Direct Play and Direct Stream within the Plex app on the TV and that's fixed the issue I was having. 

Sdroid

It's a dual core in my 65x8509c
elraouk

How do you know what processor they have? Couldn't see any official mention anywhere online.