Join now - be part of our community!

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

NickCo1979

2015 Bravia Android TV Issues

I thought I'd create a generic thread to cover off the issues being encountered on the 2015 Bravia Android TVs. I've listed my issues below with fixes / workarounds and responses from support. All comments and solutions welcome!

1) Hot Swap HDMI doesn't work - manifested by no input on HDMI channels 2, 3 and 4 on the KD-49X8305C. Workaround - reset the TV, either by holding down the remote power button for 5 seconds or by switching the TV off at the wall and then back on again. Further details on this thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/kd-49x8305c-hdmi-2-3-4-inputs-not-working/td-p/1944435

2) HDD Recording doesn't work - error message states a system update is required but none is available when checking. Hopefully this will be fixed soon by a firmware update.

3) Netflix App doesn't work - this seems like the app has been deliberately disabled. So far a support case has only recommended that a factory reset be performed (took two days to get to that cracking piece of advice.....), with no improvement as a result. A temporary (albeit for advanced users only) workaround is provided by MikeLothian on this thread - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/netflix-support-for-kd55x8509c-android-tv/td-p/1945360 

4) Sound lag and performance issues after the TV (KD-49X8305C) has been on standby for a while - manifested for me as stuttering and sound / picture sync issues in all apps (youtube, amazon instant video etc) and HDMI sources (PS4, seperate YouView box etc). Hopefully this will be fixed in a firmware update, at the moment workarounds involve either changing channels to get the sync to work or in my case having to turn the TV off and then on again at the socket.

As stated previously, all comments welcome. Personally I'm willing to give Sony a couple of weeks to fix this, but if it's not done soon I'll be sending my new TV back for a refund as it's not really fit for purpose.

6,373 REPLIES 6,373
cozzykim

You're right, good point.

I don't know for certain which of the two sat tuners is active, or maybe both are working hardware wise, but only one is working in the software.

There's an easy way to find out, I'll try both inputs separately one day soon when my wife isn't here and I have time to mess with our system.

I'm waiting for PAP too, that's far more interesting to me than 5.1, as it makes the TV into a fully flexible media system, (if it works as indicated). You may be able to have a muted TV channel in one window, and the music app or browser open in another, or combinations of inputs open together.

That and an easy way to organise favourite channels and delete unwanted junk shopping channels etc from the EPGs would make this TV for me. 

Segsabase1
Explorer

Thank you for your answers quite enlightening.

However, I have a problem not seen on this forum: The screen to my 2015 ANDROID Bravia (KD-3X8305C) just went dark and was dimmed by the  Talk Back Accessibility functions in the settings o

I can hear the sound but only a snapshot of the screen when i try to switch it off.

There was a tip on the screen to undo by holding down and pressing the Volume Up and Volume down keys together three times quickly...

Tried a couple of hundred times but it hasn't worked.

Please any suggestions  on a work around  on how to disable the Talk back accessibility feature ?

Thank you.

andrewsoong

Soooo, any news on the update that was meant to be coming out tomorrow? I take it the lack of official announcement by now means it's been pushed back?

Smithee
Explorer

Anyone else experiancing the sound cutting out every minute or so - on Freeview HD the sound keeps cutting for a split second, basically making things unwatchable (just trying to watch Minority Report on Ch4 HD). I am going out via optical to a Denon Amp.

Along with the operating system grinding to halt and the 3D not being up to much, I'm getting buyer regret 😞 the sound issue could be the last straw...

Andy

cozzykim

Yes, I have.

I normally watch via a Humax Foxsat HDR on HDMI 4ARC from the HT-XT1 sound base, but this morning I'm watching Freeview.

I noticed the sound blips on CH107 BBC News HD

This doesn't happen AFAIK on any other inputs.

P.S. Does anyone know how to select the correct Freeview region, I'm in the North West/Granada region (signal from Winter Hill) and the BBC News channel on CH107 is showing London regional news, is this normal for Freeview?

What does the "LNA CH107 ON/OFF" setting do in "Channel setup>Digital setup>Digital tuning" Menu?

HairyFool

You have to remember it is not FreeView/Sat. That is a proprietry system only available to those manufacturers that subscribe to run the specific code. To the best of my knowledge only Panasonic and Samsung have this system, this why we have issues with the EPG as Sony TVs cannot access the Freeview EPG.

Non Freesat systems do not have the regional channel filtering function so having tuned the set you get whole blocks of BBC and ITV channels, the annoying thing is the header must contain region data but they are just listed by the main service name.

As their sales staff keep promoting it as Freeveiw then they should bite the bullet and buy in, at the moment it just Free-To-Air.

cozzykim

AFAIK, FreeSat is a propreitary EPG, but FreeView is not, it's just the UK wide replacement for analogue terrestrial TV.

That doesn't explain why the sound has a regular glitch anyway. :wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
orangeyred

Freesat is proprietory and not supported but Freeview is.  These TVs are Freeview enabled and should be able to compile the EPG properly.

I take it from everyone's silence that the YouView update due for release today hasn't come?

HairyFool

A fair point although with caveats.

Freeview terrestrial is still a licensable system but was made open in order to be used as a digital replacement for the analogue service. Hypothetically you can have a Digital tuner that is not Freeview but as all UK broadcast uses that standard all TVs have it.

In its original guise as ONDigital it was subscription based, required a license and failed. Once universally adopted and the BBC came on board as an open sytem it became the defacto standard in the UK.

profile.country.GB.title
Stevevalo

These TV are Youview after the update I think due today. But it will just be more/new software to go wrong.

I've had 2 of these TVs now, a 43W807 (1080) and a 43X807 (4K).

I thought I upgraded to the 4K as the 1080 had issues. But the picture on the 4K is really dark and its got more issues than the 1080 version that I now wish I had kept.

I'm just waiting for the update, hopefully today to see if things improve.